Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone rebuilt their fuel pump, mine is failing and left me stranded took it out last night and looking for one, Bearmach part does not look right and Atlantic British is pricey ESR3931 , on another note I am sharing the process I followed from earlier posts going from the top
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Floor Road surface

i didn't think to to take exact measurements for the post, but will if anyone asks, use a grinder (zip cut)
Stairs Wood Flooring Rectangle Road surface

You are going down a little ways but you know when you have gone through the metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Wood Gas

This was full of dust, cleaned up before I opened it
Automotive tire Road surface Plumbing fixture Asphalt Wood

Wood Asphalt Plant Gas Machine

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, I did locate a new one just a few days away so that works, and as far as method, ill clean up the metal and make a nice hatch, always easy to access in the future, and you would think manufactures would start that way, when placing ware parts inside the tank, having to deal with full tanks and maybe stranded in not so great a location, dropping the tank in my opinion, only my opinion is not the right way, lol, have a great day

·
Administrator
4,967 Posts
Dropping the tank IS the right way, butchering a hole in the floor is just vandalism. If you lost your keys and found you were locked out of your house, would you call a locksmith or just use a bulldozer on the front wall?

Reactions: kcr

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
665 Posts
Like he says, if you have a full tank and are stranded in a remote location it's not really doable unless you have the hatch. I cut a hole in my 98 when it failed in my driveway as I was not interested in preserving the car. For my 99 I did drop the tank and replaced the pump as a precaution. With a near empty tank, two people and two trolley jacks it was fairly easy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct Gord, I agree, not for every application, and unfortunately Richard you answered the question with your analogy, I don't have to take the door off to get in the house if i lose my keys, the locksmith can access it where it is, highest respect for you , but I think hiding ware parts in difficult places is not the best,

·
Administrator
4,967 Posts
Wear parts is one thing but how old is your car? When designed it was probably only expected to last 15 years or so. So the fact it has now worn out just means it lasted far longer than originally expected. This is what people seem to forget when they complain about weak parts that fail and cause grief, heater core O rings and door latches, being the regular ones. A car will be designed with an expected life span of around 15 years so that is how long the parts are expected to last. If they last longer, as all P38s have now, the youngest being 20 years old, a manufacturer will consider it over-engineered.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
As above, you can get a generic pump to fit the frame. Make sure it provides the requited flow and pressure, size is less important as long as you can make it fit.
I'm also a fan of cutting a hatch instead of dropping the tank. The Disco2 has a hatch, so even Land Rover realized the benefits. But I never cut it out completely: I only cut the sides, drill out the spot welds at the front and then fold everything back.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
563 Posts
I cut a hatch in the 97 so I did not have to try and jack it up and or lift the 20 gallons I had in there. Now I open the hatch and clean the connectors and all the area once in a while. Works well for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts