RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just got a 1998 P38 Rover 4.6L last December. Unfortunately it’s been nothing but trouble. After only 2 months and 1200 miles of running it blew its head gasket. I finally got it back on the road a week or two ago and after 3 days/ 65 miles of back and forth to work, it stops dead in the middle of the road. Do all electrical testing that points to a bad fuel pump. Drop the tank and get the pump housing out and find that the internal line that goes from the small pump to the top of the pump housing has come off. So I replace the pump (not the housing) that comes with a new white corrugated line as well and put it back together. Cranks up fine and off I go. Only make it to the gas station to fill up and the same thing happens. Have it towed back, drop the tank and find the white line has blown off again. This time down at the pump (last time it was the top connection at the housing). Put it back together, this time jamming the white line as far as I can onto both the pump and the pump housing. It happens again!! So I’m sick of dropping the tank by this time and go to cut the hole in my floor board and embarrassingly find out that it’s already been done!! Was this a known problem that a previous owner couldn’t overcome? As other points of interest, I happen to have the rare pump housing with the emissions equipment in it that was on late build 1998 trucks and the early 1999 GEMs units. I would try to clamp the lines somehow but this is a hard plastic line and both the pump and the housing top have nipples that don’t have flanges to catch a clamp. They are just straight so I don’t know how a clamp is going to stop it anyway. There must be a fix for this. Please help. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,322 Posts
Blocked return line?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
419 Posts
Put some fuel safe line on there with stainless clamps. If you can save your old sender it is better than a new cheap one. You guys have a newer pump
with 2 connectors and much more expensive .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m not sure about the return line itself being clogged? I can tell you that it has blown off with two different fuel pressure regulators. The first one was not working and kept bleeding down over time. The second holds pressure overnight like it should. But it blew the line with both of these.
As far as the clams go, are their special clamps? Can you use the clamps with the plastic lines I show in the pictures above? Also, my big problem is that I was taught that clamps won’t work in the long term on a pipe with no flange to catch it. Thoughts on that? Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
52 Posts
One alternative is to replace the plastic hose with a section of Gates 2780 Submersible SAE30R10 Fuel line which is resistant to alcohol. It may work better with hose clamps.

·
Registered
496 Posts
looking at the grooves in the fitting a small piece or tie wire would hold it in place, but I would also remove the return line and check that the fuel is returning to the tank?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Grab a pressure gauge and check the fuel pressure in the rail at the inlet manifold. There is a Schrader valve there for the purpose. It should be about 30 - 35 PSI.

·
Registered
496 Posts
actually its 38 psi with no more than 2 psi difference between idle and run
if yours is that low its time for a new pump?

·
Super Moderator
2,322 Posts
You need to look for the underlying cause and fix that, rather than finding a way to treat the symptom. Nobody else has the same problem with the same type of pump so it isn't a problem with the pump, something else is causing the problem with the pump. The fuel lines are steel pipes with sections of rubber hose, check those, if the fuel filter is clogged (or someone has bodged something non standard in there), then the pump will be producing pressure but it can't go anywhere.

·
Registered
201 Posts
On checking the book says 34-37 with no tolerance figure given. (General Specification Data, P10)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Rule of thumb whenever you change the pump you change the fuel filter at the same time.
For the reason mentioned above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts