RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a FPR swap and wanted to know if there are any tips when replacing this part (other than setting my stogie far, far away). The RAVE appears to be pretty straight forward which alarms me:) Also, do you all follow the fuel de-pressure process by the book or is there a short-cut? Thanks in advance.
-W.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The RAVE procedure to relieve fuel pressure is convoluted, so say the least. I use the procedure from my BMW and Saab manuals, which is to hook up a vacuum pump to the fuel pressure regulator, apply as much vacuum as your little pump can muster, hold it for 30 seconds, then release the vacuum. By opening the fuel pressure regulator up, fuel pressure stored in the fuel rail will flow through the excess fuel return hose back to the tank, and leave the fuel rail depressurized.

As you joked already, keep your matches well away from the fuel lines when you open them up. Just because there is no fuel pressure doesn't mean that there isn't any fuel in there. There is, plenty. Work in a very well ventilated area, or even work outside. Disconnect the battery to minimize the chance for stray sparks. When I open up any car's fuel system, I try to do it outside, and with a fire extinguisher nearby. Then again, I'm a little paranoid. I knew a guy who burned his best friend's garage down because he forgot his VW microbus had a disconnected fuel line, and tried to start it inside the garage. He then burned his hands very badly by trying to push the burning bus out of the garage. It burned down anyway, and he spent months having his hands rebuilt by surgeons.

Scott

·
Registered
272 Posts
I got my littly Mity-Vac for under $20. They aren't expensive.

If you don't have a little vacuum pump, follow the RAVE instructions.

Scott

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recently did this when re-doing my cylinder heads (on my 95 RRC but I think the 93 is the same) and it was pretty straightforward, just pull the fuel pump relay (RH footwell) and then crank the engine. It'll start and run for a few seconds and then die. I then just cranked it over a few more times to try and totally drain the fuel rail.

Once that's done, disconnect the battery and you can then just undo the fuel lines from the fuel pressure regulator. Make sure you've got a couple of old rags handy because the hoses do still leak fuel.

I removed the intake plenum and the fuel rail anyway as I wanted to remove the heads but I think it's possible to remove the Fuel Pressure Regulator in-situ, just a bit more fiddly. Oh, and not smoking's definitely a good idea as is working outside!!
Hope that's some use, cheers
Simon

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody. I'll tackle it this week.

Now here's to hoping I don't have a pump issue next. :pray:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts