RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 EFi. My fuel lines are beginning to look a bit tired and I can't remove the current fuel filter - the nuts are rounded and totally stuck. I'm looking to replace both the flow and return lines complete with rubber. Its obvious that rigid replacement is probably impossible with our the body off. The only issue I can see is connecting the new rubber to the steel vertical lines in the engine bay. Theres are the ones wrapped in heat shield and look in very good condition. Has anyone else done this as a complete job and removed all steel lines including these wrapped in heat shield?

Could I just remove all steel lines and connect rubber to rubber at both the tank and engine ends with inserts and jubilee clips? Does anyone know what is the ID of the existing rubber at the tank and engine ends are?

At least then I can insert a new fuel filter in line. Anything else I should be worried about?

Cheers

·
Registered
1991 Range Rover Classic
6 Posts
93 EFi. My fuel lines are beginning to look a bit tired and I can't remove the current fuel filter - the nuts are rounded and totally stuck. I'm looking to replace both the flow and return lines complete with rubber. Its obvious that rigid replacement is probably impossible with our the body off. The only issue I can see is connecting the new rubber to the steel vertical lines in the engine bay. Theres are the ones wrapped in heat shield and look in very good condition. Has anyone else done this as a complete job and removed all steel lines including these wrapped in heat shield?

Could I just remove all steel lines and connect rubber to rubber at both the tank and engine ends with inserts and jubilee clips? Does anyone know what is the ID of the existing rubber at the tank and engine ends are?

At least then I can insert a new fuel filter in line. Anything else I should be worried about?

Cheers
Hey - I have exactly the same problem (RRC 1991) and am looking to replace my lines. However, I have done a fair bit of reading and most people recommend that you do NOT replace your lines with rubber, esp with the changes in fuel etc that have happened in the past 30 years. Unless you go to the "forever" molecule PFTE (Teflon) , and I have not checked the price of the tubing. So I am looking to replace everything from tank to the engine (including fuel filter and possibly the fuel pump) but it is really hard to find the specs for the fuel line - I measured the OD of the line and it was 6mm, so doesn't translate to anything really practical that I can see. What I am going to do is pull the lines, etc and hope that I can come up with a fix that doesn't involve waiting weeks for parts (Live in Canada so delivery is an issue). I think I will post my diagram of the fuel lines, specifications etc because there really isn't a clear one that I have seen - unless I am missing something? Also, I hope to get the connectors dialed in as well. But as for your other questions with respect to the tank and engine ends, I dunno, but would appreciate a reply if you get to it before me, otherwise I'll post. I have also read that it is likely a good idea to replace the pump at this time, but depends on whether you want to spend the money or not........ Cheers

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. I recently replaced the pump. A new one over here in the UK was less than 50 sterling and a very easy change. I think the 91 has the hole in the boot floor and the plastic tank so should be easy enough. I too am finding info on fuel lines a bit sparse so hopefully those more knowledgeable than me here would be able to assist. There are plenty of rubber (petrol suitable) fuel lines on eBay etc but I would be wary of buying cheap stuff.

·
Registered
1991 Range Rover Classic
6 Posts
Wow - 50 pounds - THAT’s a deal - if you don’t mind me asking, where did you get that- approx $250 USD for one in the states........ also, forgive the brain fart, but 6mm = 1/4 inch, so have ordered 25 feet of line from Amason. I’ll pick up the connectors when I pull them off (and will post specs) also ordered a tube bender (super easy to do AND if the fuel lines have gone, betcha the brake lines are not going to be far behind.) you did replace the fuel filter correct? I’m thinking that it is a standard inline with 1/4 inch hookups. I’ll post that as well, if someone doesn’t beat me to it. Cheers....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of replacement pumps available over here in the UK. Typical one here:
I assume you have ordered copper tube? Are you sure copper is ok with gas and are you sure you are going to be able to route the tube in tight spacers such as over the top of the tank? I have not changed the filter the old one is stuck hence the decision to do a much bigger change.
I would be very interested to see how you get on.

·
Registered
1991 Range Rover Classic
6 Posts
Copper nickel alloy - fine with fuel. Bends pretty easily as well (from what I’ve read). When I get it i will pop the fuel lines off and use them for reference with respect to bending. I ordered a flare and bending kit (as I have to do the brake lines next) so will take some pictures and send them to you. I’ll reference the filter as well. Will source out some clamps with rubber inserts and put the reference in there as well. Funny that this info isn’t available...... cheers

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any progress with changing your lines Shazam?

·
Registered
1991 Range Rover Classic
6 Posts
Any progress with changing your lines Shazam?
Slowly but surely. Was under the RRC the other day and getting an action plan together. Had a hell of a time figuring out the lines as they run for the most part above the frame rails, but under the body. Also, my Fuel pump cover access plate was totally rusted (go figure) so I had to order an assortment of drill bits, impact drives, etc to get those screws off. I will get to that soon. I am leaning towards cutting the lines close to the engine compartment (but leaving enough so I can get the flaring tools in there, and same towards the rear. Would be a lot better if a guy had a lift . I have been practicing with the new line material and have my flares down I think, but doing them on a bench, and doing them under a vehicle etc when it is -5 C is a different story. Good thing that I don't need to drive it much in the winter...

Cheers - Craig

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking fwd to progress.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts