RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year!

Apologies for the duplicate thread, but can’t seem to access the original thread to add the photo.

I have a fuel line leak inside the engine bay on my ‘97 GEMS. Photo is attached, but it’s the line affixed to the firewall and includes a regulator attached at the connection point to the fuel rail. My ‘98 GEMS has a different setup, so was this a one-off? I can’t seem to find its replacement from the usual sources.

How does the line attach where it’s leaking? Can the rubber section be removed from the fuel pipe or is it one long piece down to the fuel filter?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Greetings and Happy New Year, Here is a fix I found somewhere on the internet.
WP_20160405_14_36_58_Pro.jpg
Instead of a small saw blade I used a cutting wheel on my drill. I relieved the pressure, carefully and with wet clothes trimmed the bands off.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
that is a pressure crimp, unfortunately it means your rubber line has deteriorated thus the leak. further lack of fortune I think replacement lines have not been available for a few years, I may be wrong.
the other option is to remove the rubber hose from steel pipe by cutting the crimp, making a flare on the pipe sliding the rubber hose past the flare and using a constant pressure screw on hose clamp.
the flare, assures the pressure on the system does not slide the hose out off the pipe and the constant pressure clamp, will allow uniform connection between the hose and pipe.
do not use a regular hose clamp it will leak fuel.
another and the better solution but its a long shot, is to find ferrules and nuts used at the fuel tank connectors as well as the fuel tank rubber line, remove the crimp and use the ferrule and nut system.
the long shot is finding said tank flex line. easier said than done.
when replacing the rubber line, you must use fuel injection approved rubber line or pressure line, regular rubber line will burst with in short time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greetings and Happy New Year, Here is a fix I found somewhere on the internet.
View attachment 249337
Instead of a small saw blade I used a cutting wheel on my drill. I relieved the pressure, carefully and with wet clothes trimmed the bands off.
Good Luck
Thanks for this. Looks like the logical way to go and pretty simple at that.

Cheers!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is a pressure crimp, unfortunately it means your rubber line has deteriorated thus the leak. further lack of fortune I think replacement lines have not been available for a few years, I may be wrong.
the other option is to remove the rubber hose from steel pipe by cutting the crimp, making a flare on the pipe sliding the rubber hose past the flare and using a constant pressure screw on hose clamp.
the flare, assures the pressure on the system does not slide the hose out off the pipe and the constant pressure clamp, will allow uniform connection between the hose and pipe.
do not use a regular hose clamp it will leak fuel.
another and the better solution but its a long shot, is to find ferrules and nuts used at the fuel tank connectors as well as the fuel tank rubber line, remove the crimp and use the ferrule and nut system.
the long shot is finding said tank flex line. easier said than done.
when replacing the rubber line, you must use fuel injection approved rubber line or pressure line, regular rubber line will burst with in short time.
Great advice. I wonder if that pipe is already flared. In any event, thanks for the pointers.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I would use a small pipe cutter, your working on a fuel line, not a good idea to use anything electric unless your insured well !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts