just completed my 45,000 sevice on my 2008 range rover sport at range rover
they said that i need a fuel injection maintenance and cost $200 at dealer
can i go to a local shop to do this????

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Hmmmmmm :think:

Did they pull an error code for the injectors?

...or is this what they want to charge you to put a $12 bottle of Techron in the gas tank?

Might want to ask them that and if its the latter, politely decline the service.

FWIW if you always use a name brand premium grade gasoline you won't need injector cleaner.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Unless you have had some really crappy gas for the last 45K miles I doubt you would need a full removal and cleaning of the injectors. If she is running fine save your bucks for when something actually fails or needs attention.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe just change the fuel filter if it hasnt been changed in 15k or so, and call it a day? I can attest to injector spray pattern problems being rampant if bad gas is used, and if the fuel filters aren't changed out regularly. Then again, ethanol laced fuels haven't been around very long, and long term effects on seals/pumps/tank and hose coatings may not be realized.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
wetoddid said:
Then again, ethanol laced fuels haven't been around very long, and long term effects on seals/pumps/tank and hose coatings may not be realized.
? We have ethanol up here since the mid 80's. In high school I remember gas staions with signs stating they had ethanol free fuels as a selling point. I also remember a big stink in 1988 or 1989 in Denver about the requirement for ethanol in all gas sold. I would think 20+ years is long enough to know the impact.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I misspoke (typed) 8-0= I was actually implying to the concentration percentage. In either case, I am incorrect, seems a quick google search shows the model T was run on pure ethanol. Hah, thanks for the error correction. Something in the back of my mind recalls problems about 3 years ago concerning the fuel/water miscability issues due to the ethanol. Anyway, I'll go back to my room. :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I remember now...and it has to do with an aircraft forum I frequent. When you remove the ethanol from the fuel for aviation purposes, it lowers the octane of the gas, because a high octane is not needed when mixing with ethanol. In aviation, ethanol is no good at altitude because of its ability to retain water at lower temperature, ie. higher altitude. Pardon the Brain fart.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
wetoddid said:
...a quick google search shows the model T was run on pure ethanol.
Geez, forgot about that tid bit. Then again those things run on anything more flamable than boxed wine.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
The EPA will shortly rule on ethanol blend going from 10% currently, up to 15%. If its a "go" which it sounds like from what some folks are telling me, it will be phased in over the next year.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Isn't the fuel filter and fuel pump 1 unit that sits in the tank. This would make it a PITA to replace and more cost effective to use better fuel.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
Isn't the fuel filter and fuel pump 1 unit that sits in the tank. This would make it a PITA to replace and more cost effective to use better fuel.
That in itself is a good enough reason to skip the Indian Reservation...even if it is 20 cents a gallon cheaper

·
Registered
14 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS wrote:
If that's the case, Im sure they made the tank easily removable :roll:
If you guys are after the good stuff there are a few registry sites that list 100% petrol availability. Best for 2 stroke engines and outboard applications. How many 5 gal gas cans can you guys fit in the back :shock:

www.e0pc.com/

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
That’s what it seems like - there is mention of a fuel filter in the pump, in addition there is a charcoal filter that fits in the rear of the vehicle, I can't seem to find the filter location anywhere else while looking in Alldatadiy.

With regard to fuel injection cleaners, I also use the Chevron w/Techron every 3k miles. Posted this on another thread - For a cheaper and one time\ yearly clean, you could use any good brand such as Redline SI-2, Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner, or BG44K. I lean towards Redline and Regane because it has something called polyether amines (PEA) in higher levels that will do the job well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hello
i use moble gas * high test* all the time and the car has alot of power and it idles perfect ...
i just think that they just wanted to make a few bucks on me..
thank you very much for the help.... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
ps... should i put a fuel added in the tank and if yes which one

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
lenny said:
hello
i use moble gas * high test* all the time and the car has alot of power and it idles perfect ...
i just think that they just wanted to make a few bucks on me..
thank you very much for the help.... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
ps... should i put a fuel added in the tank and if yes which one
A few bucks is an understatement unless they were going to pull and clean them! :doh:

Just keep using your high test "moble" gas, you don't need to add anything. :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you need to replace the fuel fitler every 15,000 miles? I dont think mine has been replaced under the normal free factory maintaince plane.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
As mentioned. the fuel filter is built into the fuel pump. No maintenance to the fuel system is required for the Sport regardless of mileage, other than checking pipes, hoses and unions for signs of corrosion or chafing during each scheduled tune-up every 6 months or 15K miles.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
BTW, this is the schedule a LR technician would follow when you bring your 2006-2009 RRS in for regularly scheduled service (schedule applies to gasoline engines only), it's s bit more comprehensive than the "bullet point" Maintenance Chart provided with our cars' documentation. Even though the hyperlinks within the document won't work, I thought I'd post the schedule for reference and DIYers who may be doing this themselves after the free scheduled maint. program is up:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Thanks Umberto! Could that be put into the FAQ sticky??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts