RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

An odd instance occurred the other day. After filling the tank full it only went up to a little over 3/4 full. Fuel warning light comes on nearly past the red area instead of just before. Is there a float or something in the tank that registers this level to the gauge - like in a 68 Mustang? I remember that error driving my buddy nuts when his wouldn't read correctly and I helped pushed that bitch to many gas stations. Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
159 Posts
There is, in the tank, a float with an arm which connects to a potentiometer and the resistance is displayed on the gauge. When I replaced the tank on mine ('89) I swapped to old unit to the new tank and it read erratically, probably due to the resitance braking down after getting disturbed. It's mounted on the left side of the tank with a bayonet fitting (don't take it off when the tank's full as it soon won't be full any more) and there are three wires (some models have two) connecting to it. Dirt in the connectors could give a false reading, or it could be the potentiometer breaking up. In the UK, a replacement wasn't expensive, but it's worth a poke about as it should come off and on relatively easilly, just be careful wiggling the old one out of the hole. When replacing the sender unit back in the tank, you may need a new sealing washer, to get a good seal.

·
Registered
318 Posts
the 93 model is a all in one unit pump and gauge unit very coman for the float to fail new unit i'm afraid but you can test the the unit by removing it and testing also earth the wire to the unit and check the gauge is working correctly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts