So i just got this Fuel filter ESR4065....for my 97 rr p38 se 4.0 gems

does anybody know what kind or size of connections are on it
as they are NOT 6an....and not 8 an.....any help would be great

Ive asked Atlantic...they have no clue

thanks in advance

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
I use whatever wrench fits the filter and the fuel line and pray it breaks free. Don't know what you mean by 6an or 8an...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what size wrenches to use thanks.......i'm asking about the fitting type regarding the thread or any other spec

google 6AN or 8AN......fuel line fitting....these were new to me too......but all over summit and jegs....for fuel line connections

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
google 6AN or 8AN......fuel line fitting....these were new to me too......but all over summit and jegs....for fuel line connections
Uhm, really don't care to know that much technical detail for a 10 minute bit of maintenance. It would not change anything in my routine. The only thing that is important is to ensure the fittings are clean and tightened no more than 15 foot pounds.

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
I have no idea what 6an and 8an are either. I suspect you'll find they are metric, M10 or M12 probably without digging one out and having a look.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Why don't you go to a site for 6an or 8an or whatever it is you think is important to know for a simple fuel filter change. This is not something that is Range Rover related and certainly not specific to P38s.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
I have no idea what 6an and 8an are either. I suspect you'll find they are metric.
LMAO... I was close to posting up a pic of my old Whitworth tools for my older British leaky heaps.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,091 Posts
Wikipedia says:
The AN thread is a particular type of fitting used to connect flexible hoses and rigid metal tubing that carry fluid. It is a US military-derived specification that dates back to World War II and stems from a joint standard agreed upon by the Army and Navy, hence AN.
AN sizes range from -2 (dash two) to -32 in irregular steps, with each step equating to the OD (outside diameter) of the tubing in 1/16" increments. Therefore, a -8 AN size would be equal to 1/2" OD tube (8 × 1/16 = 1/2). However, this system does not specify the ID (inside diameter) of the tubing because the tube wall can vary in thickness. Each AN size also uses its own standard thread size.

Well I for one feel a whole lot better for knowing that...

·
Registered
343 Posts
AN. Army Navy. Like
BNC. British Naval Connector..... but legit. Interesting...
after installing my new stereo system my truck has both now....

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Interesting bit of history, but what does it have to do with changing a fuel filter on a P38? It's not like the fittings need to be changed because original filters are not available.

·
Registered
107 Posts
AN is also identical size wise and thread wise to JIC37 hydraulic couplings. But should not be mixed because AN = Aluminium, and JIC = steel.

On topic:
https://goo.gl/images/A5u2CM

Take a look at this picture. I can see all the way from over here yonder that it is probably a metric thread. And like others above me I silently wonder: “What is the original poster really trying to accomplish? Why is he going on about AN sizes?”

·
Registered
316 Posts
AN. Army Navy. Like
BNC. British Naval Connector..... but legit. Interesting...
after installing my new stereo system my truck has both now....
Fell I must give Paul and Carl credit where it is due:
The connector was named the BNC (for Bayonet Neill–Concelman) after its bayonet mount locking mechanism and its inventors, Paul Neill and Carl Concelman.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
let me be a little bit more clear why I'm asking this question.....I want to put a non return valve in my fuel line and connect it to the hoses in the fuel filter area.....

That is the reason for my question......

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
nrv is already in the system, built in the fuel pump and the fpr. furthermore the reason for the priming cycle in the fp upon initial koef.

you could install a redundant nrv in line but if one or more of your injectors leak down the whole purpose is defeated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts