RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, was having some issues with fuel economy on my 97 4.6 Autobiography. On advice, Used Suburu upper cylinder cleaner, changed to NGK plugs and have just now fitted Bosch GEN III injectors ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-BOSCH- ... 152wt_1167 ). Be going for a run tomorrow to test fuel economy but the smoothness of the engine and responsiveness at all revs is unbelievably better! Recommend this change to any GEMS P38 owner without a doubt. $115 AU and 2 hours welll worth it for the smoothness alone. Be back with the figures tomorrow...

You can see the new injectors have 4 tiny holes and the old LUCAS GEMS have 1 massive hole.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$69 US for 8 remanufactured injectors, $12 US foe postage = AU$115 total. Can't believe how much smoother it is. Neither could the engine i think, idle now settling down..

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,391 Posts
daljames said:
$69 US for 8 remanufactured injectors, $12 US foe postage = AU$115 total. Can't believe how much smoother it is. Neither could the engine i think, idle now settling down..
Oh! Grateful if you'd PM or post details of supplier.

Ron

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Pity you didnt have your old injectors redone, they work well and economy is good on mine, avarage 14L p/100km at around 129kph with cruise control set.

Be interesting to see what results you get, the finer the sparay the more of a gas it is when it enters the cylinders = better combustion

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ron, i put a link in the original message for where i got the injectors from. The ebay link. Just make sure when ordering that you want 8 not 6. Its the same injector used by ford/bmw and others. Well worth it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,758 Posts
Perfect timing for a Friday 13th posting. I had to have my rear sniffed, comps plugged in and rig checked out today for another year of taxing for roads I never use. My injectors have about 50K on them and are LR replacements. My O2s have about 60K on them. Original MAF and cats. My rig idles so smoothly I can actually balance a nickle on the slam panel. I was very happy to see my emissions hardly registered on the WA DOT system. Even better is that gee, my huge gas sucking V8 produces less smog than that pathetic nasty gutless soulless can't haul **** almost new Honda next to me... hmmmm.

DANG I LOVE MY BEAT UP OLD RANGIE

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, went for a run today. On the freeway averaging 95kmh 12.6 l/100km was the average. 80km freeway driving, 12km urban driving and 40 km offroading ( had to visit Watagans while i was up...) in second gear hi range averaged 16.4. Much better. Will confirm in a few weeks when i do the run i did just prior to fitting new injectors for comparo.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot though, my idle is still playing up. Wont drop back to 675, hangs around 800-850 and can go up to 1200 or higher. Anyone know if the ECM might need to be reset?? Or throttle position sensor gone bad? Ive cleaned the idle control valve...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have the Ford yellow injectors from Rover Renovations in mine - I wonder if they are the same (one of daljames' responses suggest they might be)?

Regards

Andrew

·
Registered
931 Posts
daljames said:
Ok, went for a run today. On the freeway averaging 95kmh 12.6 l/100km was the average. 80km freeway driving, 12km urban driving and 40 km offroading ( had to visit Watagans while i was up...) in second gear hi range averaged 16.4. Much better. Will confirm in a few weeks when i do the run i did just prior to fitting new injectors for comparo.
Anymore feedback on your experience with these injectors.Thinking of ordering a set for my 95 4.6 :think:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, go for it. I did an economy comparison today versus old injectors over same course. !5.5 l/100kn versus the new 13.7l/100km. Just have to reset your adaptive characteristics in your GEMS EMS

·
Registered
74 Posts
daljames said:
Just have to reset your adaptive characteristics in your GEMS EMS
sorry if this is a stupid question but what do you mean by this? Will be ordering the injectors tonmight (I'm in Manila).

·
Registered
931 Posts
phildg2000 said:
daljames said:
Just have to reset your adaptive characteristics in your GEMS EMS
sorry if this is a stupid question but what do you mean by this? Will be ordering the injectors tonmight (I'm in Manila).
The engine ECM adjusts its settings over time to suit the characteristics of the motor it is controlling.When installing new injectors you need to reset the ECM to its default values as the values it is using will suit the old injectors and not the replacement ones.The ECM will then learn the characteristics of the new injectors and adjust its settings accordingly.

·
Registered
268 Posts
This is very interesting...
I calculate that your mileage went from 15.18mpg to 17.17mpg (US gallons).
Nearly 2 mpg, or close to a 15% improvement.
If that is the case the injector investment will pay for itself in about 9 tankfuls of gas at current US gas prices.

How do you reset the ECM to baseline for those new to RR or Gems?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The biggest difference i noticed was the torque from idle to 2000rpm has increased significantly. The much better atomisation of the 4 hole Bosch injectors means a much better burn at these lower RPM when there is less turbulance for mixing the fuel and air. As said GEMS learns your car and adjusts. You put the new injectors in and dont adjust your car will idle at about 1800rpm. You need a FAULTMATE or Testbook to reset.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Is there a Bosch part no. or other part no. reference for these injectors.
Google comes up with masses of links, but it is difficult to know which is the correct one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In my first post on this thread i added an ebay link to the exact buyer and the 19lb injectors i got. Very easy bloke to deal with. They are new, not remanufactured and they are the same as for mid 90's Mustang 5.0 lt engines. Mine even had both the Bosch symbol and ford symbol on them. Also if you go on Youtube and you can see the atomisation comparison. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oTirEZNRw8

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I meant they are NOT new, they are remanufactured!!!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts