RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fualty message "Transmission Range Change Not Available"

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has seen this faulty message? The message went away the next I drove my '06 RRS 4.2 SC. Does this mean there is something potentially wrong with the transmission?

Many thanks for sharing.

KR,

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Re: Fualty message "Transmission Range Change Not Available"

Not necessarily, if the fault popped up right after you started the car it could simply indicate that your battery is low and some self tests failed at startup because of insufficient voltage (yours being a MY06, if the battery is still the original one it's possible it may start to weaken and throw occasional and seemingly unrelated fault messages at startup. Some may clear after a few seconds, but some may stick around until your next restart.)

If the same message reappears though, or it pops up while you are already driving, the transfer case may have a problem for real - possibly overheating - and you should definitely get to a dealer asap, since as long as this fault is showing you will be unable to switch from high to low range, and vice versa. The dealer should be able to troubleshoot the specific problem by looking into the stored DTC (Diag. Trouble Code.) The message could appear due to the following issues:

* Transfer case control module has shut down due to thermal overload
* Transfer case internal obstruction
* Transfer case changeover solenoid fault
* Transfer case motor fault
* Transfer case control module failure

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts

PS: If it is the transfer case itself, I pray for you that your factory warranty is still effective. On a different forum a LR3 owner was quoted $9000 for a replacement t-case (stealer price, but still...) :shock:

·
Registered
8 Posts

My RRS showed the same message and it was the connector under the shifter console area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Gene said:
My RRS showed the same message and it was the connector under the shifter console area.
Thanks guys for your kind sharing. I will check on the battery first and the rest as well and revert back to you guys if anything interesting come up.

KR,

Rick,

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello Rick. I have a 2008 RRS and am having this same issue. Do you mind sharing what your solution was? Please! Thank you

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hmm - I cannot really help with your issue, but the last posts on here were over 10 years ago and Rick has only ever put up 2 posts and they were in this tread 10 years ago - somehow I dont think he is not going to get your question.

I have had that fault but that was after I washed my engine - stupid thing to do. So the most common reason is moisture in the tfr case ECU or more likely corrosion on the connectors - on my RHD car the ecu is behind the battery on the firewall - not sure where it is on a LHD car. Clean the connectors and see if that fixes things after you do a hard reset to reset the ECUs. Now that is the obvious, easy check.

However as highlighted in the responses the issue could be from a range of problems - so you need to codes to be read to help diagnose.

Garry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts