RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My handbrake works. A little too well.

It doesn't want to release after I have applied the handbrake. I also have to pull it way too far up to get it to engage. I've tried adjusting on the drum, but then the brake seems to lock again)

I'm getting the shop to work on this one as I'm not confident with brake systems (I know, it's only the handbrake...)

I have the attitude that if something is being opened up, you may as well replace pretty much everything, otherwise another part of the link blows out at a later date. However, after I got the quote for the parts for this one, I'm having second thoughts.

The shop has not opened up the system yet, as they were waiting for prices on parts. Is this something can can be adjusted/fixed/lubed back to life? The shop seems to think it's the adjuster not releasing the pads.. If so, do I have to replace it?
Thanks,
James

·
Registered
272 Posts
When you get the drum off the parking brake, you'll find the shoes are held together with stout springs, pretty much just like any drum brakes you've ever seen. The "bottom" pivot for the shoes is the adjuster. It usually has some dried out flakes and chunks of grease in it. At the other end of the shoes is a lever activated cam that pulls upward, camming followers away from the middle which push the shoes toward the inner sides of the drum. This actuator also has dried out old grease in it, but because it actually sees daily motion the lack of lubrication can lead to binding and increased effort. You'll want to grease the cam and the followers well, but not so much that grease drips onto the shoes, of course.

Scott

1 - 2 of 2 Posts