RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Range is now at the dealer awaiting service after a shaking and vibration that I concluded had to be a problem with the front brake, and by the time I was able to come to a village and pull over the front right wheel was smoking, so I had to have the vehicle flatbedded the 90 km back to the dealer. ( fully covered by the land rover extended warranty... :) )

I recently had the brakes serviced, and even had them checked out subsequently because I heard a squealing noise occasionally, but after releasing the brake, not when applying it. Of course this didn't replicate when I took it in to be checked out.

So now the truck is at the dealer's. After searching I found that one forum member, thelokolobo, had reported a frozen front brake caliper. I suspect something similar. Are there others who have had this problem? Is it one peculiar to our brakes? Should the dealer have recognized it as a probable cause when I described the symptom?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
33 Posts
I had a rubber front brake line 'collapse' on itself (not on the Rover, though). This basically made the line hold pressure and act as if the front caliper was seized. Same thing, car was undrivable but easily fixed. Make sure to bleed out a good amount of brake fluid from the caliper as it likely got too hot.

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think I posted about this a while ago.

When shops replace the "brakes" they do the pads and check the rotors, replacing if out of limits. What a lot forget to do is check the guide pins - the callipers "float" on these. If you have excessive pad wear one side or you get juddering, 99% of the time is the calliper pins are stuck, and the calliper can't float.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that Azulian. My Range is still waiting in the queue at the dealers and they haven't even had it in to diagnose the problem yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts