RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every winter during very cold nights the drivers door will open in the morning, but not close! It just keeps bouncing open everytime your close it. I have tried WD40 and Deicer in the locks and door mechanism, but nothing works until it thaws out a wee bit.

Anyone else have same problem or a solution?

Phil

PS I tried a search for "frozen doorlocks" and found nowt

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that is identical to my problem and no quick fix that I can see. :(

Sounds like the bowden cables give the issues but I'm not to keen to start stripping door down

Phil

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
I had to replace my cable. Thinking about it, maybe if there was some water in the sheith that froze then it would be like the handle is always open, so it wouldnt shut? Sound reasonable? It took me about an hour to replace the cable (the end had snapped off) and cost about £20.

Dan

·
Registered
293 Posts
lol i have that same problem when the temp get in the lower teens after a warm thawing day, some kind of moisture build up or leak into somewhere cause if its nasty cold like now 5F to -5F but been dry, it doesnt do it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
wd-40 into the dorlock, as where you put the key or from the side of the door where the locking mechanism is?

·
Registered
748 Posts
anyone think about the freezing point of the door seals themselves.

happens more times then I can count. Thats why at certain temps you dont wash any car or else your screwed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
door seals lubricated with silicon, no problems then.. But if you don't lubricate them with silicon youre in the chance of ripping them of

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
jope said:
door seals lubricated with silicon, no problems then.. But if you don't lubricate them with silicon youre in the chance of ripping them of
Yep, the felt one along the top of the door can come off really easily!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If its the bowden cables that freeze, if I leave the car unlocked over night would it be OK? I.E The bowdens wouldn't need to move just open the car. I stay in middle of nowhere so leaving it unlocked wouldn't be a problem unless a passing sheep decided it wanted a RR with frozen door locks.... :lol:

Phil

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had this last year and also Yesterday morning having lubed the lock mech already with WD40 . The Bowden cable makes sense. Once it freezes it does to as though the cable is being pulled. I drove a short distance up the street holding the door closed and the auto lock managed to lock the door on the first latch position.. The handle inside wouldn't open the door to get out! I managed to pull the door fully shut and drove to work with two things set to stun.... the heater and the stereo. I'm not sure the trip was long enough to free the iced up cable but the kicking Bass line did the trick a treat! :thumb:

WD40 is a water dispersant so its ideal.. I just need to pull the door skin off and saturate the cable with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts