RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 range rover classic. I need a front windshield as mine was broken by a rock and spread across the whole glass. I tried range rover but they say they do not make it any more. Does any body know where I could find one. Thanks for your help. John

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,070 Posts
have you tried a wrecker?

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
Windshields are readily available order from most any glass shop. Except for the 94/95 model year they are all interchangeable. There are four main options and a few combinations of these options. With or without heated screen and with or without shade band. 88 NAS would most likely be non heated with shade band. Any of the others would fit. I've always found it easier to deal over the phone as the installers/schedulers often go strictly by their computer and will tell you a nonheated screen without tint can not be put in a rig ta has tint.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
John - have you tried Safelite? Since you have an '88, they probably have a replacement for yours. It'll be about $400-$500 installed. They couldn't source the windscreen for my '95, due to the uniqueness of the '95.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not to derail this tread, but "pl626" you never got the windshield replaced? I recall thread about yours in around August, just curious. I had mine done by Safelite on '95 for $360 with the moulding.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Timely subject matter, I just had a heated windshield put in my '93 LWB Tdi yesterday!
$380 installed.
I'm having the glass guy search for another heated one for me so I can store it away in my shed.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Not to derail this tread, but "pl626" you never got the windshield replaced? I recall thread about yours in around August, just curious. I had mine done by Safelite on '95 for $360 with the moulding.
@Eugene - I was sidetracked by my day job in my search for a source. Then, on a lark, I asked the shop that's working on my engine transplant if they had a source and they gave me a quote of $1,000.00 for a heated windscreen with finishers and installed. However,they said it would take about 3 weeks. We should have this finished next week.

Timely subject matter, I just had a heated windshield put in my '93 LWB Tdi yesterday!
$380 installed.
I'm having the glass guy search for another heated one for me so I can store it away in my shed.
@Nomar - You might be on to something, but I think the supply for the '95 RRC is worse, as it's a one-off...

@John1945 - Safelite came out to my house with glass for an '87-'94 within a few days of making an appointment. The tech knew immediately he had the wrong glass when he saw my windscreen. Safelite then told me they couldn't source the correct one and they couldn't use salvaged parts. However, I've read in a few different forums where folks have used salvaged parts without much issue, but those seem to be exceptions. Most of the pro's that I've sought out won't touch salvaged glass, I'm guessing because of warranty/liability issues. Let us know how your glass story ends.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, 1995 RR windshield is a one-off. I thought they were no longer available?
I only have 2 91's, and a '93.

Having said that, my glass shop guy thinks a Disco windshield will work if they cut it to the correct height.
This shop(and others) can do that.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Yes, 1995 RR windshield is a one-off. I thought they were no longer available?
I think you may be right about OEM stock, but I believe there is still OEE stock out there. Safelite confirmed they would use new OEE stock, but it turns out they couldn't source even OEE. However, AB still has heated windscreens for the 95 RRC available and ISTR on other forums, it was mentioned there is a UK source.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What ever happened?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts