RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, I drove my Rover across the country from Portland, Oregon to Montreal, Quebec (where cars older than 1995 do not exist due to the harsh winters, and the excessive salting). Every once and a while, I had to replace the windshield wiper fuse, but they continued to function. In Utah, during rain, with the wipers on, we smelled something funny, like burnt plastic. I am not sure, but I suspect that this might have been something related to the wipers. However, the wipers held out for the most part, although sluggish. A few days later in Kansas city, the fuse wouldn't last at all-- it would blow immediately. At the time, I was able to get in underneath the "cowler panel" and tighten some bolts and add some oil to some of the moving parts. Incredibly, this fix got me back on the road, and lasted several months (with minimal wiper use).

More recently, the wipers have failed me again, once again blowing the fuse instantly. I bought a refurbished motor, and attempted to replace. To my dismay, after removing the hood/bonnet, and then the cowler panel and original motor, I discovered that the relay from my original motor differed from the refurbished one I bought (see photo). (As if vintage isn't difficult enough, everything is a little bit different on the 1987s compared to the later classics!) Notice that the pins are in different orientations. To make matters worse, the wires are different colors! Nevertheless, I ventured onward, attempting to intuit what the wire colors are on the old and new, and to replace the wires in the relay connectors.

relays.JPG

I was able to get the refurbished motor wired up such that (if I remember correctly): slow, fast, and off positions worked. However, the intermittent position (when the switch is pressed down, below the off position) gives the slow speed functioning. This was all with the motor wired up, but not bolted in place. Once affixed, with the panels and hood back on, the motor didn't work at all, and blew the fuse every time. I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Perhaps there is a short in the system? A grounding issue? Perhaps there is a problem with the switch itself?

IMG_3096.JPG IMG_3077.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
When my wiper motor went out
I sourced the whole assembly with motor
The plugs were different
I used the plug from the old one and wired it in
Worked well

·
Registered
330 Posts
Is the wiper assembly moving freely? It's been a long time since I've worked on the wipers... is it possible to to assemble everything without the cowl & bonnet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, the assembly moves freely without the motor hooked up. but now, the motor doesn't even try without blowing the fuse. Does that sound like a short circuit?

It's possible to assemble the motor and wiper arm mechanisms without the cowl & bonnet, but there is woven ground cable that attaches to the hood. Everything seemed to work well without the cowl, bonnet, and wiper arms installed (see note in post-- all positions worked except for the "intermittent" setting).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sourced the whole assembly with motor
The plugs were different
I used the plug from the old one and wired it in
were the wires different colors? did you reference the wiring diagram? or how did you do it? The 5th pin in my relay is at 90 degrees to the original...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I still have it out in the garage
I’ll take some pictures
And post them

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Here are my shade tree diagrams of the motor plug wiring
This is the plug from a 91..
It is pretty straight forward wire colors
With a little process of elimination
And I’m sure my spelling could be a little
Off
Good luck
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike, this is great, very helpful, thank you. Interestingly, the plug from your '91 is similar to that from my '87-- the 5th pin is 90 degrees from the rest of them. I will certainly use your wiring diagram next time I take off the panel and get access to the wiper motor.

It looks like you connected the wires from the motor and those from the plug with "butt connectors." Just to be sure, in your "plug" column, you mean the wires from the plug end, right? And presumably, these same colors should continue on the other side of the relay?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts