RangeRovers.net Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Dave...do you know which set of wires govern the driver's seat movement and also which set of wires govern the front passenger window?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sure Dave will give you definite answer. From my last try, I found the three gray wire splice controls both front driver window and front passenger window.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
The front windows is less of what controls it, and more that it needs a signal in order to operate, the signal being the Global Open circuit, even if global open/close is not enabled, the front regulators need to see it or they will not function, this is the Gray/Black (Slate/Black per LR)splice joint.

The driver's (and passengers on +07my) seats not functioning, are usually due to the Memory Seat Module not receiving the proper Electronic Power(different than the actual power for seat movements) feed, which is on a Red wire, that also has a splice joint in the RH door sill.

Other issues I have seen due to failed splices in this area include the Brake Switch circuit, the LIN bus for the rain sensor and sunroof, the audio system microphone signal, the power supply for the remote's RF receiver, and I'm sure that I'm leaving some out.

Even with all that, I usually don't go through and open them all up as a preventative fix, as the good splices that are there are actually very good, and probably a better quality splice/seal than a human hand would make.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Thanks Dave...here's what I have:

Had not driven the RRS for about a month...opened it up and had the following issues:

1. Clicking under driver's seat - intermittent functioning of forward/back and recline.
2. Driver's window not operating
3. Front passenger window not working.

Found a lot of water again in the passenger footwell...dried it out, opened up the loom to dry out...didn't touch any of the prior splices...

Did the "hold 10 seconds down and up" trick on the windows buttons at the driver's side...now:

1. Driver's window working
2. Driver's seat still not working...may have to get a memory ECU.
3. Passenger front window still not working...
4. No obvious "dissolved" wiring connections...but still need to check thoroughly.

Your thoughts before I buy an ECU memory module? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Don't buy one, find the splices. I usually pull the seat(7 bolts and then a couple connectors) and get the trim and carpet out of the way, and it's all right there.

The clicking was most likely the module itself turning on and off, check the lumbar operation on the front seats (same power feed) then find the White/Red(I was wrong above) 4 wire splice and strip it to check. Several wire colors are duplicated, so count the wires not just the colors.

I find that usually even when it's just one front window that doesn't operate, it is still the splice most of the time, so maybe one of the wires is making enough contact again. (3 wire Slate/Black splice)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Thanks Dave...will do that...got most of the carpet and sill and loom exposed...will just go thru it methodically again and recheck fuses another time.

By coincidence today, I noticed that my right rear brake light doesn't work all of a sudden...too much of a coincidence I think...must be related somehow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found the gray wire splice. They are disconnected due to corrosion. I cut one inch and reconnect them. Both driver side and passenger side windows are fixed.

Thanks, Dave.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Dave, if you ever decide to open a 'gofundme' page let us know. Your advice is truly priceless. Many thanks.

'06 RRS LUX
'06 pilot EXL
'91 4runner

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Success!
1. Driver's window fixed.
2. Passenger window fixed.
3. Driver's movement fixed - hunted for the red/white untl I found the splice near the plastic molding of the passenger seat.
4. Remote control now working!
5. Rear brake light on, but not at full intensity...maybe unrelated then to the other issues...wonder if one of the resistors is fading out...these are 2010 LED rears...have had them since 2013...first issues...all other lights work fine on the rears.

Now to figure out whether the water leakage is again the sunroof tube or something else...

·
Registered
12 Posts
can not find the Gray/black wires for the driver window in the door sill.

it is super dry inside the door sill, dont see any corrosion on the wires and they all look clean and in place..

could there be a different problem with the driver window..

The vehicle is 2009 Range Rover Sport.

Please advise

Many Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
found the problem. Please excuse my english

Its from the switch, when i disconnected the front switch from the Door card, i also had to take it apart from the harness/wires before removing the card.

I gave power to the switch harness/wire that was connected to the switches, it has 6 female metal slots, figured out which 2 slots belonged to the driver side window. The up and Down work fine when i gave power to them.

I brought the window all the way down and left it there, connected the switch to the harness/wires, the up button worked, went half way and stop. NOW WHEN I TRIED TO BRING THE WINDOW DOWN FROM THE SWITCH, IT DIDNT DO DOWN, i hit the Up Button, IT GOES UP. Tried doing the down button again and it wont go down.

The driver side window switch only works on the way up and it does not work when you press down.

So it has to be the Switch?

I even figured out which male metal bar(inside switch) goes into the female slot(harness/wire) which belongs for the DOWN Button.

Is this something can be fixed, without me buying new switch for the vehicle. they cost over 150 dollars..

Any advise

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I have seen that switch fail. It's in a location that can easily get water on it if the window is even cracked when it's raining, or you spray the windshield washer.

I've been able to take it apart and clean up the contacts and restore function, so it all depends how bad it is inside.

This kind of failure will only affect one window, as in if it were the passenger's front glass that wouldn't function, the passenger's switch would still work. The clicking is the main thing to check for when it's the driver's, as there is only the one switch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Dave

You are 100% correct. It affected only one window and by bad luck, it has to be the driver side window, and it could of been from the rain because of cracked window or probably my dad sprayed windex/cleaner on the switch thinking nothing could happen..

I even took the original switch apart and tried to clean the contacts, even though no sign of water damage. But still didnt work.

I went out and got a switch today and BOOM, FIXED..

I want to thank you very much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have 2008 range sport hse, just recently bought it, first day only driver window was not working,all other 3 were perfect, next day when i checked only passenger side working and all other three not working,i tried from the master control driver side as well as with all independent switches, the result no luck, as the previous posts i am trying to find the 3 grey nd black wires on the passenger side door sill, tried dozen times with no success, its 2008 so could by wiring colour difference, which colour wires should i trace, in all the wiring in the said door sill only found 3 purple wires which are connected together at a point.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
No change in wire color, but it would help to know what country you're in to be sure you're checking the correct passenger's side.

Also, the splice in question will not affect the rear windows, only the front.

For all of the windows to not function, I would be looking towards the CJB itself, pull and check your cabin air filter for any signs of water staining. Were there signs of water in the door sill you were checking?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
... it would help to know what country you're in to be sure you're checking the correct passenger's side.
Thus the reason we ask for a real location in profiles and that folks use proper LEFT or RIGHT terms instead of local slang like driver and passenger... :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok I am near giving up here, someone please give me just a little bit more information, I have a 2005 range rover sport Right hand drive (UK) and I have checked both door sills and no black and grey wires, I did find 3 black wires going into one black wire, is this the splice people are on about? if so I have rewired all factory splices that I can find and I've had no luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would have to hazard a guess, but I think the wires would be on your passenger side if that is where the fuse box is. Personally, I went through both sill wiring looms and fixed about 3 or 4 corroded splices, including one mid-way to the fuse box which gave juice to the sunroof. (thought the water would not have effected that high up but it did...)

Pull apart both sides and do it right- even if there are not issues today, the corrosion will not stop and you will have other "mystery" gremlins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem. Driver side window and front passenger window would not operate from master control on driver side. Other indications that its a ground fault on my 2006 sport is that i could remove the 25amp fuse position #7, this is the fuse for the driver side window, and could get the front passenger window to work from both driver side and passenger window control but still could not get driver side window to operate. Also verified that I had power going to main switch driver side and to the window actuator on the driver side. All is working now. 3 Gray/black wires are on passenger side front third of the opening and they did show corrosion. I don't believe my moonroof drain is my problem but found a lot of moisture either from spilled sodas or coffee.

IMG_0065.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
this is my very first post on this forum, but i just wanted to say THANK YOU!

also, here's a zoomed out pic of the wire splice location, for those not sure where to look. i located the crimp/splice right where the tip of my wire tool is.

IMG_8224.jpg
what a lousy connector that it! even if it didn't get wet... i gave it a tug and the actual wires were disintegrated and the tip just popped off. i couldn't reach my soldering iron out to the street without getting another extension cord, so i stuffed all three wires into one end of a blue gauge butt connector, crimped the shiz out of it, wrapped it in electrical tape, folded it over and ziptied it.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts