RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I got into my car today, and the front windows will not roll down, both driver side and passenger side. Both of the rear work, even from the driver's control. I checked the fuses and they seem ok. Is there a relay for the front windows? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an '06 HSE.

Thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Had this same issue: Here's the solution....not the fuses or the window switch itself.

Unlikely source - water in the passenger footwell caused by a clogged sunroof drain tube... the water eats away the wiring underneath the front passenger door sill. You'll see the large wiring loom there, approx 2 inches in diameter and there are 2 very noticeable connectors under there which have 3 wires that come together. The water eats the wires away underneath the connector, leaving just the plastic housing of the thin gauge wire. Once the wires are stripped again and rejoined, your front windows should work again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the help. I got back in town this morning and had time to take a look at the wire loom under the passenger side door sill. I have a couple quick questions:

1) Am I looking toward the front of rear of the passenger side door sill for these connections? There are various plug type connections attached to the front innerside of the vehicle under the fuse box?

2) The only three wires that are spliced with tape on them are all red. They are all spliced together? Is this the connection that you are taking about? Do you recall what color the wires are? This connection is toward the front of the vehicle on the passenger side.

Thanks,

DB

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
The wires that you should see are wrapped in either blue, black or red tape, probably depends on the day they worked.

At any rate, they should be right around the middle of the door sill, not underneath the fuse box.

Unwrap the tape on those 2 connectors and see if you see any wires from the 3 still intertwined, if not, strip the wires and re-attach them together,

Do you recall getting any water in the wheel well at any point?

Cheers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check this out again in the morning. The two connections that I found had colored tape, but were connecting only red wires. I opened up one and there was definately some moisture in it, but no loose connections. I still need to check the other one. The passenger side filled up with water after some serious rain. This sounds like the same problem that you had. I will keep you updated.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the connections that I have found. I did not want to start cutting until I posted a picture. Do any of these look familiar?

1) 3 black wires
2) 3 purple wires- white stripe
3) 6 thin read wires- 3 from each side
4) 5 red wires- 2 connecting to 3[attachment=0:nbncnm8u]wiring.jpg[/attachment:nbncnm8u]

Attachments

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Yes...those 2 with the black connectors that are holding 3 wires were the culprit on mine as the water had got inside there. Take those 2 black covers off, strip the 3 wires back another 1/2 inch, re-twine them together and test the window.

Hopefully that solves the issue...it may be one of the blue connectors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solved! Thank you for the help PJPR01. It ended up being a cennection that I missed in the first picture. Three black wires with grey stripes.

DB

·
Registered
290 Posts
couple of questions guys ( this just happened to me after I returned from a trip )

1. are you just bending u pthe door sill? or are you taking off the side pillar plastic and the door sill?
2. how do you get off the black housing underneath the door sill?
3. how do I unclog the drain tube?

thanks guys, I can see water in there underneath the black housing!

·
Registered
225 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Yes...those 2 with the black connectors that are holding 3 wires were the culprit on mine as the water had got inside there. Take those 2 black covers off, strip the 3 wires back another 1/2 inch, re-twine them together and test the window.

Hopefully that solves the issue...it may be one of the blue connectors.

What two black connectors?

·
Registered
225 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Had this same issue: Here's the solution....not the fuses or the window switch itself.

Unlikely source - water in the passenger footwell caused by a clogged sunroof drain tube... the water eats away the wiring underneath the front passenger door sill. You'll see the large wiring loom there, approx 2 inches in diameter and there are 2 very noticeable connectors under there which have 3 wires that come together. The water eats the wires away underneath the connector, leaving just the plastic housing of the thin gauge wire. Once the wires are stripped again and rejoined, your front windows should work again.

I need help finding the "2 very noticeable connectors". Fixed my drain tubes and this is the last step to get my windows working again... Any help is welcomed...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here are some pictures I took. Now I just need to figure out where the problem is? I need some help here guys...

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
FIXED! Picture of where the problem was attached...

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys I have that same problem with 06 RR Sport. My front windows wont go do down for weeks at a time including my sunroof. Some weeks it works, some it dosent. My sunroof has not gone down for months now though. Is the sunroof wiring in the same section that the front windows? My rear windows go down perfect. Can you please help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can someone please tell me how you can get this bracket off that is protecting the wiring on the front door rocker?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fixed my issue with both front windows not rolling down on my 06 Rover Sport HSE. I had already changed the master switch and no luck.. took apart both front door panels and seems like there was no ground to the window motor. I needly re-wired a ground cable to each motor on each door and all is working perfectly fine.. no problems at all.. seems like some how the ground that is in wire hardness had gone bad. Hope this helps some people.. You will need to tester to determine witch is the ground.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks also.. This fixed my windows... but now my seat and mirrors have stopped moving...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts