RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I had the front diff done and as mentionned earlier I noticed only
some weeks later that the steering wheel was some 5 degrees turned to the right: other
malfunctions caused by unqualified LR mechanics needed more urgent attention.
This problem was mentionned by others on the forum too.
I understood that in NA RR owners were given some 150 $ gratis to spend on a wheel alignment
after the recall.
In Belgium we received a courtesy car ( FFRR TDV8 Vogue ) for a day. No compensation
for a wheel aligment, so I kept driving whith the steering wheel slightly to the right.
Today I did the realignment myself using a small home laser; as the wheel alignment angle
is +/- 0 degrees, I only had to see that the laser beam left and right were parallel
to each other and to the lenght axis of the car and all this whilst keeping the steering
wheel in the straight ahead position.
As I had only one laser I marked one beam on the floor and repositioned it towards the other
front wheel; fixed it with elastics and put a spacer inbetween as the tyre was larger than
the rimcenter (wheelcap removed)and blocked the laser beam.
[attachment=1:3cpwaccd]laser ali (1)-800.jpg[/attachment:3cpwaccd]
[attachment=0:3cpwaccd]laser ali (2)-800.jpg[/attachment:3cpwaccd]
[attachment=2:3cpwaccd]laser ali-800.jpg[/attachment:3cpwaccd]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Remember that there are other aspects to alignment; camber, caster, toe-in & out...
It can all be done, with a good amount of thought, some math & the right tools.
I've considered rigging my own alignment setup, but don't feel confident that I could do much more than a partial alignment at best, so I stick with the conventional practice of taking it to a shop. Luckily, I haven't had to get an alignment for the last 20k + miles, even though they might have performed one after replacing the front diff under the "recall".

Very ambitous and industrious and I hope it works well. Good luck!

·
Registered
748 Posts
take it back to the dealer and complain. its possible the kid put the rack off a bit.

or the tie rod end is bad or the lower ball joint is off.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
03rangiemark said:
Remember that there are other aspects to alignment; camber, caster, toe-in & out...
Very ambitous and industrious and I hope it works well. Good luck!
In this case it is only getting the steering wheel straight!
All went well: 15 minute set up and after 30 minutes the rack was straight forward again!

The boss said:
take it back to the dealer and complain. its possible the kid put the rack off a bit.
In order to repair and change the front diff, they drop down the whole sub chassis with steering rack, so a realigment
( putting straight the steering wheel) needs always to be done.

or the tie rod end is bad or the lower ball joint is off.
All suspension parts are in top condition but probably that is what the stealer would say!

·
Registered
748 Posts
go and complain. if they know they screwed up for the other stuff sometimes they will suck it up.

but, if the steering wheel is off you will know by putting the steering wheel straight forward and see its off.

if the ball joints or tie rods are loose you can lift the vehicle and feel looseness. Now you may have to pay for that but so be it. it will cure your problems.

only the tie rods require an alignment.

the balljoints are just install and go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts