RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen some bad inner tire wear on the wife's '03 so went investigating.
Seems that the "upper" frnt bushings have a LOT of play in them, in all directions!
New "upper" arms, without ball joints, are @$170 for the pair
New Moog bushings for the above, $44 for the pair.
Big difference, considering I already have a 20 ton press etc.
Cant see an easy way of getting the ball joints off without running the risk of beating them up, but at $37 for both sides, it isn't a deal breaker. I wouldn't mind the control arms if the cheap SOB's included a ball joint in them!
So will be ordering these up soon, unless someone has a better source etc for them? Those prices are from Partsgeek.com and all parts are in stock.
There are no clunks etc, just the bad tire wear, which on 20's is expensive enough.

Also looking at all parts to rebuild the VANOS and replace all the timing components. Chain, guides, tensioners, etc. SO if anyone has a complete parts list for that too, would appreciate it. The VANOS will be done using the Beisan repair parts etc.
No point in doing the VANOS without the chains etc, and vice versa IMHO. It has had the startup rattle for ages, and now is pretty constant.

Martin

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts
Re: Front upper control arm bushings...Then VANOS and guides!

Martin what is the mileage of your truck?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

@150k miles Stan.

Martin

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That kit is only showing the one tensioner though isn't it?
Water pump will be done too, thanks for the heads up on that.

Martin

·
Registered
494 Posts

That is correct. I did not change the second, internal tensioner it was in good nick, the outer tensioner is (apparently) the one that fails. It is not usually included in most kits I saw from BMW parts suppliers. FWIW there is a HUGE disparity in prices for similar kits. This kit was one of the best prices I found and had free delivery too (well to US addresses).

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

If I am tearing that far into it ALL the **** things will be replaced....lol
I honestly dont really like working on the thing, so the less future stuff I need to do, the better for me! A couple of hundred extra now is cheap insurance for me, as the missus would be pissed if I did all that and it still rattled.
Hopefully Dave replies to a PM I sent him regards this stuff, and we can get a pro's opinion on it all.
I could probably get away with just the guides, as the lower tensioner (19mm socket, under the airbox ductwork?) has been replaced already with no noticeable difference to the noise. So it may be the other tensioners, the chain, or guides. Hell it may all be Vanos noise too!
My P38 with the transplanted 6.0 liter LSx seems SOOOOO simple compared to that M62TU!
Martin

·
Registered
67 Posts

Martin,

On the control arms, I was in a similar situation. I replaced both upper control arms and ordered spare ball joints just in case. These ball joints are too big for many of the tools without damaging the seals, however, I was able to fit an OEM Pitman Arm puller on it and remove it with no damage on both sides. Its not exactly the right tool but I was able to make it work.

-Good Luck, Dave

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Cheers Dave.
I have most tools around here, and can make what I dont have normally.
I think it will be the bushings and ball joints, and keep the old control arms. See no reason to change out the arms, besides lazyness! lol

Martin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts