RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So i've had a look around the forum and not found anything the same as what seems to be a unique issue.

I've got a 2011 L322 HSE with 130,000k on the clock. Serviced regularly at an authorized repair center, taken well care of and driven daily, mainly on the highway.

My issue is, on my commute to the office i have to stop at several check points, where i'm usually stopped for 30 seconds or so or driving in bumper to bumper traffic and not really using the accelerator (this ranges for 5-30minutes). But sometimes when i'm stopped at one of these points the front suspension drops, and probably to access height, and quite quickly, almost as if a valve has been opened and then closed. I can't hear any noise when this happens, there are no warning lights that appear, and if i have he 4x4 screen up on the center display is shows everything is fine, and that all the suspension is level.
Usually when this happens i then just raise the suspension to off road height and then i lower it back to standard ride height and the issue is fixed.
But this also happens erratically, maybe once a week, maybe twice a week, maybe once every two weeks.

Two services ago i brought this up at the shop and they found a faulty height sensor, which they replaced. But one week later same issue. On the last service i brought it up and they couldn't find any codes or anything, they did a full system reset just to see if that helped but as of yet it hasn't.

Also pretty much every morning now the front suspension is sagging, but as soon as the ignition is turned on it raises back to the height it should be at. I know this is probably a leak or valve etc, but i don't know if the two are related.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Does the suspension seem more stiff or bouncy than normal? The fact that the front is sagging in the mornings definitely points to a leak.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
When was the last time your front air struts or shocks were replaced?
There are (figuratively) limitless posts on what you're seeing.
One of your front air struts is leaking, most likely the right, if you haven't replaced one yet.
I just replaced a front right air strut last night.
It began exhibiting this tale tell sign about a week ago, whenever I lowered it to access height.
Do you ever lower to access height?
Do that, and listen for an air leak - hissing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When was the last time your front air struts or shocks were replaced?
There are (figuratively) limitless posts on what you're seeing.
One of your front air struts is leaking, most likely the right, if you haven't replaced one yet.
I just replaced a front right air strut last night.
It began exhibiting this tale tell sign about a week ago, whenever I lowered it to access height.
Do you ever lower to access height?
Do that, and listen for an air leak - hissing.
Hi there, one of the air struts was replaced when it went it for its 80k service, but time wise i don't know when that was. The guys at the garage have said their aren't any holes in the struts and they can't find a leak anywhere.

Very rarely do i lower it to access height, i mainly raise it to the odd road setting. Would it be a loud hissing, like would i be able to here it with the windows down or would i need to get someone to to lower it while i'm stood outside?

Also would that explain why the front is dropping so quickly? like it drops from normal ride height to access height on the front within a second, and i've usually got the window down when it does that, but i've never heard a hissing before.

cheers for the help

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The guys at the garage have said their aren't any holes in the struts and they can't find a leak anywhere.
Would it be a loud hissing, like would i be able to here it with the windows down or would i need to get someone to to lower it while i'm st would that explain why the front is dropping so quickly? like it drops from normal ride height to access height on the front within a second, and i've usually got the window down when it does that, but i've never heard a hissing before.
If the mechanics are looking for visible hole, I haven't seen a visible hole in a single strut that I've changed.
I might cut open the airbag I replaced the other night to see where the leak is. Since it's initially exposed (not visibly though) when the airbag is at the lowest point, that narrows down where the leak would be.

It all depends on how bad the leak would be, and when a leak is just beginning to be a problem, it can be a odd gremlin to pin-point. If it's at the point where it only occasionally happens, it's harder to catch. It's just a certain height that exposes the hole, for either a rapid or slow change depending on how it feels at the time.
It can be a subtle leak to begin with, then at the worst possible time, it can completely let loose.
If you press the entry/exit height button with all doors closed and the engine running, then you can shut-off the engine, get out of the vehicle and go to the front-right corner, and listen for a leak. WHATEVER YOU DO- do NOT reach into the wheel well while checking, as it could possibly drop while your arm is in there, and hold you between the wheel & wheel well.

With my experience, and the environment I live in (Florida) and as much as I exercise the different levels, my 2003 RR front struts last from 5 to 7 years or so. The 2012 that I just replaced had 7 years and 120,000 miles. I don't know if it had been replaced before, but I see nothing that suggests it has.

One related thing to note- this time I replaced just the airbag on the existing strut. I've always replaced the whole airstrut before.
When I separated the airbag from the strut, I found oil that had leaked from the shock, but was contained within the airbag sealed area.
I also spoke with Arnott technical support to find out if that's a concern, and learned that now the whole Arnott struts are actually new, of their own design & manufacture. They initially only had rebuilt struts and new airbags. That's changed.

I was impressed with this new airbag I got from them last week, from construction, packaging, documentation, support, and the "Designed and Made In America" part (although maybe of some international sources probably?) - so I think next time I'll buy their whole airstrut - fully new and warranted.
I've seen complaints and jabs at Arnott airshocks, but the ones I've read look more like complaints from people that wouldn't be happy if it was free, with free installation and free service, or just got something wrong and mistakenly blame it on the product. Not that there aren't valid failure possibilities, but considering that the LR-installed and labeled OEM airstrut that I removed was also labeled BWI (Beijing West Industries), the new owner of Delphi suspension division, with all due respect, I'll be fine trying the Arnott products.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
This is what a leaking air strut looks like...
SAM_2774.JPG

At the strut position where it leaks.

And where the position is lower and higher than where it leaks...
SAM_2775.JPG

SAM_2776.JPG

The "dry rot" where it leaks is only visible when that area is in the fold of the airbag. Otherwise, it looks as smooth as the rest of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,
So i've had a look around the forum and not found anything the same as what seems to be a unique issue.

I've got a 2011 L322 HSE with 130,000k on the clock. Serviced regularly at an authorized repair center, taken well care of and driven daily, mainly on the highway.

My issue is, on my commute to the office i have to stop at several check points, where i'm usually stopped for 30 seconds or so or driving in bumper to bumper traffic and not really using the accelerator (this ranges for 5-30minutes). But sometimes when i'm stopped at one of these points the front suspension drops, and probably to access height, and quite quickly, almost as if a valve has been opened and then closed. I can't hear any noise when this happens, there are no warning lights that appear, and if i have he 4x4 screen up on the center display is shows everything is fine, and that all the suspension is level.
Usually when this happens i then just raise the suspension to off road height and then i lower it back to standard ride height and the issue is fixed.
But this also happens erratically, maybe once a week, maybe twice a week, maybe once every two weeks.

Two services ago i brought this up at the shop and they found a faulty height sensor, which they replaced. But one week later same issue. On the last service i brought it up and they couldn't find any codes or anything, they did a full system reset just to see if that helped but as of yet it hasn't.

Also pretty much every morning now the front suspension is sagging, but as soon as the ignition is turned on it raises back to the height it should be at. I know this is probably a leak or valve etc, but i don't know if the two are related.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers
The air suspension blocks start to leak.Front block right front wheel area.Rear block right rear wheel area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the mechanics are looking for visible hole, I haven't seen a visible hole in a single strut that I've changed.
I might cut open the airbag I replaced the other night to see where the leak is. Since it's initially exposed (not visibly though) when the airbag is at the lowest point, that narrows down where the leak would be.

It all depends on how bad the leak would be, and when a leak is just beginning to be a problem, it can be a odd gremlin to pin-point. If it's at the point where it only occasionally happens, it's harder to catch. It's just a certain height that exposes the hole, for either a rapid or slow change depending on how it feels at the time.
It can be a subtle leak to begin with, then at the worst possible time, it can completely let loose.
If you press the entry/exit height button with all doors closed and the engine running, then you can shut-off the engine, get out of the vehicle and go to the front-right corner, and listen for a leak. WHATEVER YOU DO- do NOT reach into the wheel well while checking, as it could possibly drop while your arm is in there, and hold you between the wheel & wheel well.

With my experience, and the environment I live in (Florida) and as much as I exercise the different levels, my 2003 RR front struts last from 5 to 7 years or so. The 2012 that I just replaced had 7 years and 120,000 miles. I don't know if it had been replaced before, but I see nothing that suggests it has.

One related thing to note- this time I replaced just the airbag on the existing strut. I've always replaced the whole airstrut before.
When I separated the airbag from the strut, I found oil that had leaked from the shock, but was contained within the airbag sealed area.
I also spoke with Arnott technical support to find out if that's a concern, and learned that now the whole Arnott struts are actually new, of their own design & manufacture. They initially only had rebuilt struts and new airbags. That's changed.

I was impressed with this new airbag I got from them last week, from construction, packaging, documentation, support, and the "Designed and Made In America" part (although maybe of some international sources probably?) - so I think next time I'll buy their whole airstrut - fully new and warranted.
I've seen complaints and jabs at Arnott airshocks, but the ones I've read look more like complaints from people that wouldn't be happy if it was free, with free installation and free service, or just got something wrong and mistakenly blame it on the product. Not that there aren't valid failure possibilities, but considering that the LR-installed and labeled OEM airstrut that I removed was also labeled BWI (Beijing West Industries), the new owner of Delphi suspension division, with all due respect, I'll be fine trying the Arnott products.
Thanks very much for the very in depth info. I think i'm going to have to have to have a look around the struts and see what they look like when they are at different positions. Obviously i won't do that as the suspension is going up and down lol probably just get my Gopro hooked up to my phone so i can fully look at everything after it's lowered as well.

I'm currently living in the middle east so i will be getting the same ambient temp as you if not higher, so the struts might need doing soon. I know the previous owner had one replaced at the LR but not sure when or what strut was replaced.

With the struts i think the guys here usually replace them with Dunlop struts, or some other major brand that i've only really known to make tires, but apparently they are way better and more suited to the climates here.

after the next service i'll update you on what the outcome is. At the moment the whole thing is just a minor inconvience so i'm not gonna do anything until probably after christmas, providing everything stays ok 🤞

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what a leaking air strut looks like...
View attachment 281467
At the strut position where it leaks.

And where the position is lower and higher than where it leaks...
View attachment 281468

View attachment 281469

The "dry rot" where it leaks is only visible when that area is in the fold of the airbag. Otherwise, it looks as smooth as the rest of it.
Again thanks so much for this, i'll see if i can grab any photos of mine when i get the chance just to compare.

cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts