RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bad few weeks with the rangie.

A month a go i had a new radiator fitted (that'll be the 4th or 5th)

Three weeks ago came out of the office to find someone had keyed one side of the car

Three days after, parked in a completely different area someone did the other side.

Not Rangie associated but just to add to things had my blackberry stolen at the gym. Lost all my contacts as my laptop that it was synched to broke about 2 weeks before!

Two weeks ago i drove down to Hereford (about 120 miles) on the way the check coolant warning came on, i've seen it hundreds of times so know the routine - kept stopping and topping up until i got to the destiantion.

In the process dropped my nice brand new Blackberry and broke screen.

Following day thought i'd have a look in to the leak as could see it leaking on to the floor.
So put the suspension on the high setting, 5 mins after big whooshing sound and the front left corner dropped quickly - figured out what it was straight away, found that at normal height it would hold up. Managed to do a temporary repair on the coolant pipe that was leaking turned out to have come adrift from its clip and rubbed against the water pump pulley.

Limped the car back home, supspension pump only running slightly more than normal, temporary coolant repair held up.

Left car overnight, in the morning the front end was on the bump stops, on starting found the front right strut had gone as well.

Okay so my cars not new (7 years old)and i've read enough stories to know the struts go around that age - i'm quite used to the high maintenance job that is Rangie ownership. So i get a couple of new struts (Delphi £329 each inc vat) MY mechanic pops them on, calls me to collect when i get there it's got a bit of a lean on it, so i take the car - noticed the pump runing a lot more than normal then 10 mins later i've got Suspension Inactive warning back on so back to mechanic, after a reset of the computer it pumps up fine but after listening under the wheel arches i pointed out the hissing sound from the front left

My mechanic thinks its the pipe that attaches to the strut, no problem get one from land rover (£8) except in the typical run of things at the momment they're on back order so it will be 3-4 weeks delivery.

Does anyone have any other ideas or a clue where i can get one of these mysterious little buggers???

Sorry for the long winded story just felt like sharing. I know that once it's fixed and back on the road i'll go back to my usual misguided love of the vehicle and any thoughts of getting rid of it will disapear under my knowledge that now repaired the vehicle will be 100% reliable for the rest of its life.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Remind me not to stand next to you during a lightening storm.

·
Registered
293 Posts
yah go to any compressor shop and you will likely find tubing made for the exact application, in metric sizes, and it probably better quality.

i used to repair my P38's with non LR tubing, even though it felt much thinner, it was always easier to work with and lasted longer, never had a problem afterwords.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had the same problem with a leaky 'new' strut. I removed and checked the VOSS connecter a couple of times, couldn't see any problems. I sent the strutt back under warranty and the new one has been fine. Seemed it was a faulty strut. It would leak down to the stops over night.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies above.

Just thought i'd do an update on this.

When i spoke to my mechanic he confirmed it was definately the pipe that was leaking and not the strut. Having not heard anything about delivery, today i rang my local LR dealer for an update on the pipe - the response was that none are shown available and after checking LR do not currently have a supplier for the pipe and so can't give even an expected delivery date!

My mechanic says its the connector on the end of the pipe that's leaking (he tried it back on one of the old struts and it was still leaking).

Having been stuck without the vehicle for a month now i'm looking for any alternatives - if it was just a pipe that shouldn't be too much of problem but as there's a connector on the end this probably poses more of a problem, does anyone know what type of connector is used or have any other ideas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts