RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for Front Strut assemblies - combined shock and airbag?

I've been having a lot of difficulty with front struts over the last year or so. Replaced my original fronts with Arnotts at 150k in July '16. Within about 6 months, the air fitting started leaking(not the Voss connector, but at the base of the Arnott adapter). Called Arnott and since I bought through a distributor, I had to deal with the distributor. Paid return shipping and got a new set. That was at 161k in Aug '17.

The 2nd set failed at the same adapter around Nov '17 (4 months!!) and I'm finally getting around to looking at replacements. I'm reluctant to get Arnott's again since they're failing so quickly, plus I won't pay return shipping again.

Soapy water spray confirms this - I see bubbles at the base of the fitting as well as coming out the large hole in the shock tower mount. It drops to the bump stop over night, but pumps up quickly when starting(so the system is still holding pressure meaning it's not the fairly new valve block).

Is it worth going back to the AB or OEM versions? Or is one of the cheaper alternatives(Rimmer or other UK sources) good?

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Another Arnott victim... sorry you have had to go through this. I tend to buy everything through AB becaue they back their products and have excellent customer service. Front struts are the same from 06-13 IF you do not have roll stability suspension. Genuine struts are about $450 as of last fall. A bit more expensive but at lest you know you will have the original ride back and you will be good for another 10 years/80K miles or more.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,461 Posts
Atlantic British have been very reliable...no issues on replacement struts on my prior RRS, which I did around 145K and they are still strong at 215K (friend is driving the car now since 200K).

Odd that the Arnott's are failing, is it really an Arnott issue or is there a mechanical pressure point where the coupling comes together that is creating a fail situation and that would happen on any replacement strut?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Odd that the Arnott's are failing, is it really an Arnott issue or is there a mechanical pressure point where the coupling comes together that is creating a fail situation and that would happen on any replacement strut?
That's what I'm also wondering. The Arnotts are different air adapters than the OEM. They are inserted into the top of the strut housing, then the Voss connector threads into the adapters. On the OEM's, the Voss is directly into the housing. Arnott said that this adapter is not serviceable. When I pull these out, I'll check the air fitting hole size in the strut tower.

Luckily they're fairly easy to change out. Changed out the rears in July '16 with the ones from AB and they've been solid/reliable.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
The number one failure on Arnott products, since back to the P38 "Gen II" massive string of failures, has been their upper crimp. You don;t see nearly the failure rate with the P38 Gen III assemblies because very few folks take advantage of the 3" extra in travel so there is less stress.

L322 bags have two issues right out of the gate. They are painted pigs with a new bladder. Struts of unknown mileage and history are "tested". If they rebound they get a fresh coat of paint, some nice new stickers and new rubber rolled over that tired old strut. You have no idea if that "rebuild strut" has 60K miles or 160K miles. Of course their struts ARE covered by a warranty... if you purchase direct from them... which a replacement is free... but does not take into account the down time for your rig... shipping cost back to Arnott... or your time or shop labour to replace the failed "cheap" and "rebuilt" strut. The money you waste on the warranty replacement if the crimp fails or the strut wears out easily covers real replacements without the funky adapter Arnott items have.

L320 Sport struts fall in the same category as the L322 struts. Old leaky struts from junk yards, car parts warehouses and indie shop replacements and who knows where else. All with no history or known mileage. They arrive by the pallet full to Arnott as their base for their "rebuild" process.

Again, spend a bit more for a new strut with a new bladder and original connections. This gives you have a fresh start for your Rover. You can easily figure 80K miles/10 years with no hesitation. Many of us go much further with genuine parts but a bit of conservative planning can be a nice surprise down the road.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Two side notes:

YES, I detest Arnott products due to lack of communication, clarification and poor marketing reality for many years. If you contacted customer service for details on the rebuild process they had a script that the "assemblies" were rebuilt. If you pushed the topic of the actual strut condition, they would side step with their lifetime warranty. Something stunk from day one. Doug ignored and failed to respond to several years of emails to his direct email from numerous members here, LR club members and myself. He was asked numerous times in our forums if the struts were really rebuilt... new seals, valving or even fluids. Silence, tumble weeds blowing by and a lonely wolf howling in the distance. His silence and the insipid scripts from CS spoke volumes. Time and time again it was cheaper for Arnott to ship out another worn out strut with pretty paint and a rubber rolled up the shaft on warranty than actually rebuild the strut and add a new rubber. Rebuilt "assemblies" are dime a dozen and really cost Arnott close to nothing but warranty lip service.

I have seen dozens upon dozens of Arnott failures in my garage across P38s, L322 and a few l320s and LR3/4s. Less than half have had an actually warranty replacement because they were purchased online from trusted sources OTHER than Arnott.

BUT... in all fairness, Arnott now offers NEW struts with honest all NEW components. They come with a limited timed warranty and are considerably more expensive that their "rebuilt" units. In fact the pricing is almost on Par with the tried and true real vendors selling the real thing from day one that give stellar customer service, bend over backwards and often will give free shipping if you are a return customer or close by.

Dealing with Arnott in my little shop has been an eye opener of epic proportions. I am reminded of a used car salesman wearing a mismatched plaid suit try to hock a rusty old Ford Pinto on an elderly lady by touting it only has 120K miles on it's 4 cylinder engine and has a terrific 2 speaker AM radio.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would like to personally apologize to anyone who has tried to contact me and didn’t get a reply. I am not shy about answering questions or providing any information that I can provide on our products.

Arnott sponsors and supports dozens of automotive forums and most will send us scheduled alerts when a given key word such as “Arnott” or “Air Suspension” is posted. The image below is part of my inbox with results from today’s scheduled daily alerts. RangeRovers.net is a great forum but unfortunately does not send us similar alerts. Several years ago you let me know about some open questions and I started routinely checking the forum but obviously not nearly enough. I’m pleased to say that we now have someone who is tasked with monitoring our forums.

I did (and do) suggest questions be sent directly to me via email. I do get emails from various forums and have answered all of them that I could or passed on the questions to those who could better provide answers. I’m shocked to learn there may be “years” of emails that were not answered. I even tested the email in my signature for fear it was not valid. I also checked my settings to make sure everything is set up correctly for optimum communications. I also note that our last Private Message was received in March of 2017 - a full year ago.

Again, all I can do is sincerely apologize and let you know that we are trying to do our best to deal with and improve our communications.

RRNET.png

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Doug, the lack of communication is nothing new. We have had members ask for clarification in forum posts since back when John owned this site and forum... never a response. I know of folks that emailed your directly asking for clarification on what exactly your process was... never a response or a scripted bit about assemblies being "remanufatured" or "rebuilt". Your first clarification and confirmation was only last year on this forum. In that same thread I publicly thanked you for finally clarifying that the struts were NOT rebuilt, only tested. Your marketing catch all these years was that the "assemblies" were rebuilt.

My posts on this forum are my personal feelings, observations and views based on first hand experiences. I am just hobbyist that has been working on collectibles and British cars for over 30 years. My venture into Series LRs and the Range Rover history is based on close to 40 years of family history with the marque.

My views and posts are not necessarily the views of RRnet. I am no different than any other member here. Being part of the mod team means I just volunteer a huge amount of time like the other members of the mod team to keep RRnet free of spam, inappropriate content, profanity and trolls.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts