RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My front struts finally went out after 10 years on 2008 RR full size. Anyway, can't do it myself, so I have a good shop doing it rather than dealer. They are charging $900 for each front strut assembly, then another $700 for labor.

Thoughts? I know the strut runs $530 at BP Utah. Is the $900 just mark-up on the part? Or are there other assembly parts involved.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
Should have ordered the struts yourself. There are no additional parts needed. Considering each strut takes less than an hour to replace this is not at all an equitable quote. Without knowing your actual location folks are unable to recommend an indie that is a bit more realistic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thanks, that's disappointing. It is still much cheaper than dealer, and these guys are well known for doing good work on LRs. That being said, I was def surprised to see the charge of $900 a pop on the each strut, because I knew the cost of the part. I can understand some mark-up, but $900 a piece plus $700 in labor?

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
I think for that price I'd fly to the US to do the job!!
we charge about 80 dollars per side and the air springs are 500 imported to Costa Rica which has a much higher tax rate.
Just saying.
Next time do it yourself. it is not that difficult and from the saving buy yourself a dagnostic tool

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All - Just wanted to revive this thread since I have a question on the service.

I had both front air struts replaced with new ones from Arnott. They also had to replace one of the ride height sensors, which failed once they replaced the struts. They told me the rear struts hardly ever go and usually last the life of the vehicle. They tested the rear struts and said there were no leaks.

Question though.... When I leave my truck in my garage for about 3-4 days without driving it, it is lowering more than it did before I had the strut problem. The first two days or so it stays at the normal ride height, but then it comes down just a couple inches off the tires. When I start the car up, it pops up and rides normal with no errors.

When I had the original struts, it used to be able to sit for a week before any lowering.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I have had issues with Arnott stuff on the 2 occasions i needed air springs. Not to say i would not have with others. Latest hairspring is from Max Speeding Rods for timing and price. The latest was the crimp ring failed on an air spring only-the bag still looked fine. So consider checking for leaks. The airlines going in have double rings iirc. and the areas is so easy to have a minor leak and of course very hard to test. Air temp changes will cause some possible loss of height. Curious why the height sensor failed after yours went in for repair. Not always a coincidence. At least it sounds like your compressor is providing adequate air. I would let shop know and keep them posted. The Arnott stuff has some beautiful aluminum machining though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had issues with Arnott stuff on the 2 occasions i needed air springs. Not to say i would not have with others. Latest hairspring is from Max Speeding Rods for timing and price. The latest was the crimp ring failed on an air spring only-the bag still looked fine. So consider checking for leaks. The airlines going in have double rings iirc. and the areas is so easy to have a minor leak and of course very hard to test. Air temp changes will cause some possible loss of height. Curious why the height sensor failed after yours went in for repair. Not always a coincidence. At least it sounds like your compressor is providing adequate air. I would let shop know and keep them posted. The Arnott stuff has some beautiful aluminum machining though.
Thanks. Yea, I don't know why it failed. They were all done with the job, then on the test drive they said they had an issue with the ride height sensor and had to replace it.

But the problem is pretty consistent. If the truck sits for 3-4 days, it drops pretty far down. It never used to do this before... Maybe only if I left it for 9 days in very cold weather did I ever see it lower at all.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
I had both front air struts replaced with new ones from Arnott. They also had to replace one of the ride height sensors, which failed once they replaced the struts.
There is never a need to even touch the height sensors when replacing front struts on an L322. They are in no way connected. As far as leaks in new Arnott struts for newer L322s... not at all surprising. They are having issues with the brass fitting sealing and some interior valve leading to the fitting. Your option is to soap up the the brass fitting and if you see bubbles, take a photo or two and have new ones sent out under warranty and you will get a credit when the leaky ones are returned. We've had a few members with this issue and it is not looking good for Arnott's new products.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
On my 2004 L322 it had Arnott's when I bought them. They were two years old and only had 20k tops on them. One leaked and I had the same issue you described. I replaced the single unit with an Ebay special and had no issues afterwards. Couple of hours of work and about $250 for the part. The height sensors were not an issue. If they worked before I would say the shop messed them up during the replacement.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Recently I got a Los Angeles dealer quote of $1,800 per newfront strut for a 2004 L322, or $1,600 per strut if the internal hydraulicshock absorber was reused with a new air bag. A large independent shop wantedabout $1,100 per strut, I believe with reused shock. All prices includeinstallation.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
shop and buy the struts from Island 4X4 in the UK they are less expensive,
and the shipping is reasonable,
buy the Delphi units these are brand new shock and airbag.

The arnotts are only new bags with worn out shocks, why bother.

NOTE its possible to damage the height sensor with the strut removed,
and its a good idea to disconnect the height sensor before removing the strut so it wont get damaged

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 2004 / L322 with 158k miles, I have had her since new. I have replaced both front struts and one rear strut. I used an independent shop in Birmingham, Alabama. They offer the same warranty, one year, for new struts or refurbished used struts, but the used strut installed was only a little over $500 / strut. One of the front struts sank the day after being fixed and it was replaced under warranty, no issues since. I forget what they quoted me for new struts, but I believe it was like $700 / strut, parts only.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Emailed Arnott asking for clarification on whether or not shocks are rebuilt or new. Here's the response:

"Thank you for contacting us. Yes those are new front struts manufactured by Arnott. Lifetime warranty against defects if you buy them directly from us.

If you have any further questions please let us know.

Warmest Regards,

Roger Pope"

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
The catch is that the new struts are manufactured by Arnott so ride comfort and handling may be different than you are used to. Then the EAS bladders are installed. There have been a few reports of the brass fitting for the EAS air line leaking where where it mounts in the assembly.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I replaced mine a while back, looked at Arnott, but decided on Delphi from British Parts of Utah. I just did not want to risk having problems and then having to do it again. I called and talked to them, and they could not/would not give me any spec's on the actual strut, as they said the struts were rebuilt. With the L322 being so heavy, I did not want to risk any changes in the handling. I did use Arnott on the rear of the E320, as it's just a bladder and not a strut, and the quality of that particular part was exceptional.

As stated above, it's about an hour a side, so not sure why so expensive. You'll spend more time jacking up the truck and removing the wheel!

·
Registered
37 Posts
i picked up a pair from my autoparts store for 500 for the pair and 100 core. i put them in myself. wasnt a big job. about ahour each side. i got arnott brand and a 1yr warr. it looks like a big job but if your a diy guy you can do it yourself

1 - 18 of 18 Posts