RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the front/rear diffs can be swapped? My rear just tanked, and a guy at the shop said the front rear are the same and can be swapped. I don't 100% trust this guy's info, and thought I would check here before possibly picking up a cheap used front to replace my rear. If not I'll buy a rear, there is just a good deal on a front on eaby right now.

Thanks!

-Coach

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
LR discontinued the front and list the same PN front/rear. This was a while ago when I was searching for a rear diff. If your front is a 2 pin it will work, but I wouldn't leave it in long. I have an extra 4 pin carrier, the ring-gear went bad, carrier should be OK (needs a good cleaning). You'll have to setup the backlash again if you do swap it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having a hard time verifying the bits of info, and it's hard to tell from listings. This pic is listed as a front from a 99, but it LOOKS like a 4 pin to me:

As opposed to this one which is the standard front 2 pin:

Here is what is throwing me a bit. This one is listed as a rear from a 97 (same as mine), but appears to also be 2 pin:

Am I wrong here? Is it possible my 97 has 2 pin rear?

Thanks for all the input!

-Coach

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update, seems that the 4.0 had 2 pin front/rear, the 4.6 had 2 pin front/4 pin rear, and possibly switched to 4 pin both front/rear in 98 or 99. In pic 1 above, clearly that is a 4 pin from the front of a 99. Can't seem to find a 100% source for any of this, but at least I'm learning.

P.S. might be Cash For Clunkering the thing tomorrow if dealer is still taking them. Hard to believe how much these things devalue. What a shame that a car in good shape (other than this diff!) with 130K on the clock and plenty of new parts can't even be sold for $4500 when it originally cost like $75k.

-Coach

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
DON't clunker it! someone will buy it to fix if you give up on it. there arn't that many p38's out there to start with...

My '95 4.0 had a 4 pin in the rear (havn't opened the front yet..)

I have a 4 pin carrier from a ring/pinion blow-up, if you need the carrier it's yours for shipping. if your ring/pinion is shot, you can get replacements without the entire 3rd member.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ended up not clunkering the old girl, just couldn't do it, epsecially with all the recent work done. Hopefully I can score a used diff tonight, and have it installed by the weekend.

Dennis, thanks for the offer, but I just don't have time to rip the diff apart right now. I have a local shop ready to drop in the used one once I get it. Normally I would do it myself, but time is just not permitting at this point. I HATE paying someone to do something I can do, but this is a rare case where I can stomach the $300 or so in labor to get the thing done.

Thanks!

Coach

1 - 8 of 8 Posts