RangeRovers.net Forum banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts
Did you have the vent tube cap replaced along with the differential, to prevent the unit from pressurizing and causing seal leaks?
This I didn't know about. Would that have been standard practice by the dealership when replacing the differential entirely? Is it something I can easily do myself?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts
It should be standard practice, however it usually isn't, and yeah, same as LR3.
Thanks for the info, guys - let me make sure I'm crystal clear here. This 'breather cap' is already on my vehicle, but is likely clogged - so I have to cut the tube @ a 45 and install this new Goretex breather element?

That about right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am looking into changing my rear diff due to the whining noise as well. My 06 RR SC only has 33k on it but I have taken it into the dealer and had both fluids changed and found the whining noise still is there. He of course gave me a price of 3700.00 to replace the rear diff... LOL... Which is why I will most likely be doing it myself. I have found a couple places online that sell rebuilt ones for 1200.00 but what I don't know is do I have limited slip or not? Any way to look at the diff and tell?

Also anyone know of a good place to buy rebuilt rear diffs from?

Mike.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts
I want to reopen this topic.

I never did get to the Gore-tex filter element when it was last talked about; there were lots of other tire, bearing and suspension fiascos to deal with in the meanwhile.

The smell of a hot fluid still comes through the vents when the fan is on after a couple of minutes of driving, and persists for about 10 minutes before disappearing. I have yet to track it down, which is why I want to solicit some opinions. Based upon knowing what burning oil smells like, and what coolant smells like, I'd like to eliminate those; I don't think the smell is that.

I have read that gear oil getting hot/burning smells sulphurish. It's not that. In fact, I located that dif vent, and it appears that the Stealer simply cut off the cap (the top of the tube is just open - I'm assuming for prudence/contamination it probably shouldn't, but it's not an Earth-shattering deal, correct?).

So what fluids could get hot and send fumes through the HVAC system? It's not linked to use of AC; this happens when the fan draws air into the cabin, regardless of temp setting, and regardless if ECON is lit. I don't know what burning brake fluid smells like, but it seems to me that the only possibilities are brake, refrigerant or transmission fluid (is transfer case fluid a version of tranny fluid?).

This smell is pungent. It's 'earthy', and fairly acrid. Not rotten egg; not burning oil.

Anyone have any ideas? Where do the transmission and transfer case vent lines conclude?

121 - 132 of 132 Posts