RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 60 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
re: Front & Rear Diff Issues + Fluid Changes

Crap - so I just realized the 2008 RRS Supercharged is BELOW this vin range. So this means I have the stupid black paint that will ruin my diff also (I already went thru this on an 05 HSE LR3). ANyone having this diff issue on 2008 RRS? I had thought it was really just 2005 / 2006 / early 2007's before now.

---------
Please only raise an EPQR for differential issues which occur post the quoted VIN numbers:

Discovery 3 LR3 - LA8A459201
Range Rover Sport - LS8A141510
Range Rover. LM8A268394

·
Registered
60 Posts

Thanks goosey for the reply.

How would you isolate what is causing the humming noise? It is speed related. I mean that faster you go the louder it gets. I am not sure if you are able to hear it by just turning the wheel. If bearing is worn out there is probably some play if you try to shake the wheel?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts

When my front passenger wheel hub went bad (the bearings are built in, when they go the whole hub needs replacement), the sound was definitely more like a high pitched screech / squeal than a progressively louder humming noise. With the front windows closed I could not hear it at all. As I drove with windows open near a concrete traffic divider or other cars the noise would reverberate back into the cabin and become very noticeable, less so as the speed increased, and virtually disappeared above 40 mph. Not all bearings fail the same way of course, but based on your description I'd be more inclined to agree with your dealer's assessment. Are they quoting you for a new or a remanufactured unit?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Its funny, what Umberto described above was exactly how my rear diff pinion bearing failure sounded. I could not hear it in the car with the windows closed, but with the rear windows open, it was very noticeable...sounded like a pb brake shoe dragging with a slight screeching--no humming.

Among the last 3 SUV vehicles I've owned, if I add up the roughly 500K miles I've collectively put on them I've had 8 wheel bearing failures (none so far on the RRS @70K)and 1 differential failure (the RRS @52K). So it's been my general experience for most cars their differentials are pretty sturdy--except for the RRS. Based on this site and my own experience asking the dealer how often the diffs fail on the '06-09, I conclude the RRS diffs don't hold up well--either by leaking at the seals or downright failure. So its a very good place to start.

That said, 7 out of the 8 wheel bearing failures sounded like I had installed M/T tires--i.e.,humming that got louder and changed frequency with increasing speed. Unlike Umberto though, I never had one that screeched. The 1 out of 8 failure was more a grinding noise like sand was in the bearing. The humming variety was very noticeable in the cabin. Of those, half passed the push-me pull-me tests on the lift. If all 4 pass a lift check, it can be very difficult to figure out which bearing it is purely by sound (I actually replaced the wrong bearing once :().

There are obviously things your mechanic can see or do with the car up on the lift that give them the confidence that it is one not the other. Just wanted to make sure you rule out a w/b before plunking down a good chunk of change on a new diff. As traumatic as spending $400 to replace the wrong wheel bearing once was for me, I think I would be checking into a clinic if I spent $2-3K to replace a diff only to find out it was a w/b.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Thanks guys!

He is only talking about parts and labor being total somewhere at $3K range. So they are not usually fixing the differential, but replacing it? Does the $3K sound about right or how much does it usually go for? I can hear it with windows closed. For me it sounds very noticeable, but it took for a while for them to hear it. It is constant noise that only varies with the speed. If you have not heard the truck before, you could think that it is not anything uncommon. They are not recommending to do anything right now. Only if it gets worse.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

I agree, let it get worse unless its leaking a lot.

IIRC I paid around $1800 for a non-locking rear diff (= front diff) at the dealer--not sure what a new one costs but no reason to buy a new one. They should have plenty on the shelf so no need to worry about backorder issues. I'm just going from memory here but I think labor is about 5 hrs + whatever incidentals (fluids, etc) so you're looking at something north of $2.5K and south of $3K at the dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I am starting to fear this issue although lets chalk it up to paranoia.

I am starting to hear, for a lack of a better term, a "whining" noise upon acceleration at around maybe 35-40 mph. Could this be a symptom of a differential issue? If I let off my foot off the gas pedal then the said noise dissappears.

Now my tires are a bit on the low threshold of the wear bars so possibly it may be the tires. If indeed the tires are causing the noise, shouldn't it be irrelevant whether my foot is on/off the pedal correct to make a noise?

Anyhow, I am scheduled to change the tires soon and hopefully this noise goes away.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

If its not been invented already, I'd like to invent a tiny wireless microphone that you can adhere to the front and rear diffs, wheel bearings as well as anywhere on the body to diagnose these things.

There's probably an iPhone app for that already??

·
Registered
5 Posts

Just had my front DIFF replaced on my 06 with 38k miles!! It ate a bearing and was whining bad. I could hear it through the shift lever and initially took it in for a transmission noise. $2.5K later i got it back.
Thank God for the extended warranty! The nose got worse after the front DIFF was replaced and now its in for a new T-case as it has now eaten a bearing and is where the whining noise is coming from. $3.8K for this trip to the dealer. Once again Thank God for extended warranty.
Only bad news is that there supposedly isn't a T-case in the world and its on back order, so I'm driving a whining RRS for awhile unti one is built for me :(
By the time I'm finished figuring out the whining noise Im bound to have a complete new drivetrain on a RRS that only has 41K miles.
Just thought I would share my experiences with whining noises!

·
Registered
184 Posts

Hey bizdack did you find out anything about the noise I am experiencing the same issue at exactly 35 to 40, it is more of a howling smooth noise, I feel like it is from the engine, the noise disappears once I let go of the gas.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts

Check tire wear first...any cupping or feathering will produce something similar to that...chances are greater it's the tires wearing vs. the diff wearing.

·
Registered
184 Posts

I have lowered my car with lowering links but have not gotten the wheels realigned yet, but would the noise still be from the tires even though once I take my leg of the accelerator it goes away?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts

Try putting it in neutral and coasting to see if you hear the noise as well...but yes, feathering or cupping can create that same time of whirring noise. How many miles on the existing set of tires?

·
Premium Member
741 Posts

Just had my front DIFF replaced on my 06 with 38k miles!! It ate a bearing and was whining bad. I could hear it through the shift lever and initially took it in for a transmission noise. $2.5K later i got it back.
Thank God for the extended warranty! The nose got worse after the front DIFF was replaced and now its in for a new T-case as it has now eaten a bearing and is where the whining noise is coming from. $3.8K for this trip to the dealer. Once again Thank God for extended warranty.
Only bad news is that there supposedly isn't a T-case in the world and its on back order, so I'm driving a whining RRS for awhile unti one is built for me :(
By the time I'm finished figuring out the whining noise Im bound to have a complete new drivetrain on a RRS that only has 41K miles.
Just thought I would share my experiences with whining noises!
I feel bad for those guys who ponied up and got the RRS when new in 2006. LR should've really had more quality control, I mean paint/coating that falls apart inside the diff case? How did an engineer not catch that?

·
Registered
38 Posts

Hey bizdack did you find out anything about the noise I am experiencing the same issue at exactly 35 to 40, it is more of a howling smooth noise, I feel like it is from the engine, the noise disappears once I let go of the gas.
Hi Joey,

I just replaced the tires so as a process of elimination, this howling smooth noise you refer to is like a turbocharger sound? Well the sound I heard weren't from the tires afterall! I just came from an 8 hour one-way trip to Mont-Tremblant and back this weekend. Going up to Quebec, I was really annoyed with the sound when driving in the 60-80mph range.

Here's the kicker, the homebound leg of the trip, the noise wasn't as annoying as when we were going to Canada. It's not that I got used to it as that's pretty much the bulk of what I did, trying to analyze where the sound could possibly be coming from!

I am starting to think at first that it may be the wheel bearings but now I am leaning towards the differential or perhaps the transfer case? In my non-mechanic opinion, the turbocharger like sound only occurs when I press the accelerator and at anything above 35 mph. If I let off it the pedal or when putting the car in Neutral whilst coasting then no sound after all.

Now to give a little history, back in Dec 2010, I had a flat on the rear-passenger tire that couldn't be repaired and since I had the warranty, the tire in question was replaced by my dealer. Considering tires were of different tread depth, could that have contributed to the cause of a premature transfer case or differential wear?

I will be bringing this to the dealer before my extended warranty expires (currently at 49K but past the original mfr warranty of 4 years/50K miles). Got my toes, fingers, eyes and legs crossed on this one.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Verdict is in. The issue is the front differential pinion bearing that is making the noise upon acceleration. A front diff replacement was performed.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts

Would you describe the sound as a somewhat raspy airy sound you hear when accelerating?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Would you describe the sound as a somewhat raspy airy sound you hear when accelerating?
It may be tough to diagnose by sound alone. When mine went on the rear it sounded like a brake shoe dragging/wheel bearing issue. I swore it was a w/b. I think they can sound different depending on how bad it is.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Nice one goose!!

Yes I have to agree on goose that the sound is tough to diagnose. My best description of the sound is like my HSE grew a pair of turbochargers kicking in at 35MPH and up.

·
Registered
436 Posts

This is what my rear dif plug looked like after an oil change last month with only 43,000 miles. i showed this to my rr dealer and they shrugged it off as no big deal. The front had no contamination.

photo.jpg

41 - 60 of 132 Posts
About this Discussion
131 Replies
38 Participants
rover2017
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing