Range Rovers Forum banner

Front Radius Arm Bushings - HELP!

15K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  AMcK 
#1 ·
The repair of our 99 p38 is dragging out quite a bit. It all hangs on the four front radius arm bushings at the axle. My mechanic and everyone he knew tried in vain to press the ANR3332 bushings I had from autoparts warehouse (W0133-1652092). Needless to say they are destroyed now. He gave up and sent the arms to the dealer for installation with the LRT-60-004 bushing install/removal tool.

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/li ... -TOOL.html

The dealer said the ANR3332 bushings I have from autoparts warehouse are too big. I ordered another set of the ANR3332 from Atlantic British, by a different manufacturer (britpart instead of AMR). They say those are too big also. Apparently the plastic outer shell will not even drop into the LR installation tool. I'm getting the impression they don't know what they're doing. They initially came back with a quote for bushings on the rear radius arms on a Discovery (ANR6947)!

Currently their point of view is that I either have poor quality bushings from two different suppliers or some moron in the past install radius arms on my p38 that belong on some other land rover. I don't know how that would even work.

Does anyone have experience with the bushing installation tool (particularly instructions) or even installing the bushings themselves? Any help is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would call AB and see what they say first off. I am pretty sure they are smarter than the average LR "tech/parts swapper"
You should also do a search for anyone that has swapped the bushings (Jsmooth did it) and see if they could measure them for you?
Martin

#3 ·
AB is at a loss. They're the bushings they always sell for the p38 and have never had any complaints. They've sold ~10 sets this year. They can't tell me anything else...

I saw Jsmooths install. He pops them out, anyone can do that. But his replacements were poly and the drop right in. Both sets of bushings I've received measure pretty close in spite of being from different manufacturers and looking slightly different. They're not repackaged. My caliper is dead, but the diameter looks to be right around 2 & 7/16".

#5 ·
I have changed original bushings once, and afterwards reluctantly resorted to using polybush.

The OEM replacements I got were also to big to just press in. The LR tool uses a conical 'guide' to compress the bushes so they can get into the arms. But I didn't have that tool either. My solution was to use an anglegrinder to round off the plastic on one side of the bush so it could enter the arm and then be pressed in completely. Took 5 bushes to get 4 in succesfully...

Allthough I'm not a fan of polybush, for the radiusarms of the P38a it does seem like the most viabel option.

As to you having different arms, there is no other LR model with similar radiusarms. Maybe the old bushes left some residu (rust?) in the holes or the holes were damaged during removal, making the installation even more difficult.

Greetz,

Filip

#7 ·
I get a local indie close to me to do this job.He was frustrated at the rubbish tools LR list,he had some made up that are able to squash down the bushes enough to press them in - works a treat,little effort and no damage.
Best thing is the positive effect it has on the cars steering/handling.

#8 ·
A set of 4 blue poly bushings is like $100 compared to the $60 ($15x4) AB sells the genuines for. $40 more for less of a headache is worth it to me. And I can't honestly say my poly's feel any different than my originals. Probably because my originals weren't shot when I replaced them.

#10 ·
shupack said:
Unfortunately, I've heard too many times that the poly just doesn't hold up to the abuse...
They don't.
I had them fail on my Defender all the time.

But for the P38a radius arms, I've given in. Especially as I can get poly's cheaper then original bushes.

#12 ·
I've done a few of these.

They all seem to come oversized, But these bushes have to be a very tight fit as these bushes keep the vehicle in line.

You need to add a 6mm taper on one edge. You can use a file, sharp blade or even the kerb to acheive this.

You also need to place a jubilee clip arond the centre of the bush & tighten. Don't tighten it where it sqeezes the middle & expands the edges. This clip will stop the bush from crushing under the pressure of the press.

A ten or twenty ton press is really needed for this job. Place washing up liquid around the outer surface of the bush.

Place the taper end of the bush into the radious arm so the taper sits evenly. You will need a large socket the same diameter as the bush. Place the socket on top of the bush so the socket is flush & apply pressure with the press. The bush will slide in. Remove the jubilee clip when the bush is established in hole & push the bush all the way home.

Five minute job.

#13 ·
Thanks for the posts everyone. The dealer was totally useless and basically refused to do them.

I ordered OEM bushings from D.A.P. Enterprises and they went in with much less difficulty. The customer service was excellent. The shell looks like white pvc instead of the clear ones from AMR and Britpart. The bushings that came out had the same white shell.

#14 ·
harley said:
Thanks for the posts everyone. The dealer was totally useless and basically refused to do them.

I ordered OEM bushings from D.A.P. Enterprises and they went in with much less difficulty. The customer service was excellent. The shell looks like white pvc instead of the clear ones from AMR and Britpart. The bushings that came out had the same white shell.
I can confirm the LR bushes have a white shell, but they didn't go in any smoother then the grey (also OEM) ones I had. :?

#15 ·
allyv8 said:
I get a local indie close to me to do this job.He was frustrated at the rubbish tools LR list,he had some made up that are able to squash down the bushes enough to press them in - works a treat,little effort and no damage.
Best thing is the positive effect it has on the cars steering/handling.
Hi Ally.

I'm about to do this job. Have already bought bushes (genuine) and looking for somewhere to get them fitted - so any chance you could let me know of name of indie you use :pray:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.