RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Range Rover Classic County LWB
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front grill is looking a bit gray and faded. Any recommendations for a spray paint refresh? Brand/color code/type of paint/etc. Was the grill shiny or matt when new? Looking for something that's durable and good looking.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

-JAG

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
307 Posts
I'd look for a good UV resistant plastic paint, otherwise it won't last long. I'd call the factory finish satin; not flat, but also not glossy.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
3 Posts
I was successful refinishing my bumper end caps. Scuff sanded them (wet) with using foam sanding blocks and kitchen cleanser powder then painted with satin black rattle can bumper/trim paint. The key to prep is, when surfaces are wet with water, that there is no "break" in the water film which indicates old oils or silicones still present.

Doing the grill will be same process but more effort due to nooks and crannies.
And FYI, if your plastic is deteriorated like mine was to point where tiny glass fibers are showing in plastic, then simply wiping on more of the traditional vinyl/plastic treatments doesn't do much good. Have fun!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just use a valet product on the plastic parts on front of vehicle, bought from a caravan ( trailer over there, I believe) and camping shop. It's silicone with UV protection properties specifically to keep these materials looking good.

Nothing fancy, but always makes it look like showroom finish and reapply about six monthly when generally cleaning it.

Also use this on all black window surroundings etc, plus the vinyl D post finishing materials.

Oh, and the black top tailgate frame too.

Guess that's just about everything that's not painted then ;)

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
362 Posts
You can just buy a brand new one for like $80 at paddock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts