1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone offer any hints or pointers?

My 93 LSE's Front Aux/Fog Lights aren't working.

When you press the switch, it doesn't light up, I've checked the Dash Fuse and it continuity checks ok, I've taken the kick panel off the drivers side and there 2 Yellow Relays, labeled 3 and 5, a White Windscreen Timer Module and either one or two Green Relays, which one of these Yellow or Green Relays controls the Aux Lamps? Or are they behind the passenger kick panel (its a RHD)

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
272 Posts
On my '89 the auxiliary lights are wired up as driving lights, not fog lights. My high beams have to be on to turn on power to the driving lights. Perhaps yours are the same?

Personally, I wish they'd fitted fog lights. I don't drive my Rover at high speeds at night, so the halogen high beams light the road quite well enough. Our problem is fog, and having fog lights would be much more useful in the wintertime.

Scott

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Scott,

Hmmm, interesting.

I'll give it a try.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Scott,

You were right, they come ON on High Beam when the Aux Light Button is ON.

Next question, is that right? It doesn't seem to suggest that in the Owners Manual?

Anyone with a UK LSE confirm if theres do the same?

Cheers

·
Registered
523 Posts
I don't have the long wheelbase, but mine also come on with the high beam. If you can find the relay it should be easy enough to change them to come on with the low beam, or even with sidelights which would be a better option for running fog lamps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looking in the electrical Troubleshooting Manual (95 RRC), the Aux Lamps are designed so that they can be configured to operate on either Main Beam or Sidelights+Dipped beam. It looks like each option just takes a different feed from the Fascia Fuse board so it should be very easy to switch them over. I'll have closer look later on and let you know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd be interested in knowing how to change it.

Its interesting that Roo's 95 is the same.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Right, i've had a better look at the circuit diagram, it seems (and this is for the 95 RRC) that North American Spec (NAS) Range rovers are set up so that the Aux Lamps work in any light switch setting, Sidelights, Dipped or Main Beam. With all other Range Rovers they should only work on Main Beam.

It's definitely possible to change the settings but I'm not sure how easy it would be...........

Basically, the NAS Rangies take an electrical feed from the fascia fuse board to the Aux Lamp Switch from 3 different fuses, F2, F10 and F5 which correspond to the Sidelights, Dipped and Main Beam. This ensures the Aux lamps work no matter what position the main light switch is in. Then somewhere between the connector C204 (Back of the Fascia Fuse Board) and C209 (24 Way Green multiplug under the dash) there must be a splice. Non NAS models just take a feed from fuse F11 (Main Beam but Right hand side instead of Left hand side) and there's no splice, it just runs straight to C209.

It might be that the wiring is in place on all Rangies for both NAS and Non NAS and it's just matter of swapping connectors. Though of course these being Range Rovers it's doubtful it'll be that simple and you'd probably need to add the necessary wires yourself, which would be a bit of a pain!!!

Hope that helps, Cheers Simon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts