RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '07 RRS and it has a rumble in the left front when going over bumps, driving on snowy roads that haven't been cleared so ruts and bumpy. It doesn't make a noise when going over speed bumps, but if there is a high spot in the road (uneven asphalt, manhole) I get the rumble.
Had it in 9 months ago, they replaced some stabilizer arm bushings. Happened 4 months ago with some vibration in steering, remount and rebalanced tires and it went away.Happened again about 2 months ago, with minor vibration and and left pull, had it in last week and they replaced both lower ball joints. Was fine for a day or so, then started the noise again. No pull or vibration this time, just the rumble. New rubber, new brakes, new ball joints.

Anyone seen or heard of this issue before? Truck has 34,000k and this is the one niggling frustration, and basically the only issue with the truck.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
rumble/low hum sound like going over rumble strips/rough road could = wheel bearing. Does it also change sound or go away when driving and making a sweeping hard left or right turn?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gooseyloosey said:
rumble/low hum sound like going over rumble strips/rough road could = wheel bearing. Does it also change sound or go away when driving and making a sweeping hard left or right turn?
No sound whatsoever when driving or turning, just the rumble over bumps.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
So just to confirm, this is a low frequency rumble, not knocking noise?

With all that other stuff replaced and the fact its in one wheel, vibration, pulling, etc. I would not rule out the wheel bearing, so have them check that.

Btw, putting it on a lift and looking for looseness by pushing and pulling the wheel only diagnoses the worst wheel bearing problems. I've had bad wheel bearings in other cars and not one could be diagnosed that way--they're difficult to diagnose until you take them out and look at them. If the car is under warranty and you are running spacers on the wheels for whatever reason, make sure you remove those before taking it in otherwise they will deny warranty on the wheel bearing in most cases.

·
Registered
318 Posts
jacksun said:
I have a '07 RRS and it has a rumble in the left front when going over bumps, driving on snowy roads that haven't been cleared so ruts and bumpy. It doesn't make a noise when going over speed bumps, but if there is a high spot in the road (uneven asphalt, manhole) I get the rumble.
Had it in 9 months ago, they replaced some stabilizer arm bushings. Happened 4 months ago with some vibration in steering, remount and rebalanced tires and it went away.Happened again about 2 months ago, with minor vibration and and left pull, had it in last week and they replaced both lower ball joints. Was fine for a day or so, then started the noise again. No pull or vibration this time, just the rumble. New rubber, new brakes, new ball joints.

Anyone seen or heard of this issue before? Truck has 34,000k and this is the one niggling frustration, and basically the only issue with the truck.
Hmm, I am in the exact same situation except I have 39k miles, from everything I have read the front sway bar bushings need to be replaced at least once a year due to a design flaw. I think that is what is making the noise in mine - though it only happens when one wheel is 'input' into the imperfection in the road. I can't see a 2.5 yr old car w/39k needing new ball joints or wheel bearings.

Thanks to this board, I was able to download the pdf of LR TSB # LTB00204 which addresses a 'Front Suspension "KNOCK" noise when driving straight ahead'. I suggest bringing this to your SA's attention at your next service. It sounds exactly like mine - that dull, thudding knock explicitly from the front end when going over CERTAIN imperfections in the road, primarily when one wheel experiences it.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
jacksun said:
had it in last week and they replaced both lower ball joints.
They probably used a newly redesigned ball joint, which is supposedly improved and less prone to wear compared to the old one. However, new ball joints may also require replacement of the lower suspension arm(s), as the new ones could be packed loose inside the existing (worn) arms, and conceivably cause the type of noise you hear over uneven and broken pavement. Did they just replace the ball joints?

See this TSB, page 2.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Although the sway bar bushings seem to come up in most conversations about the clunking, I believe the problem is more related to the upper ball joints.

I had originally had my sway bar bushings replaced as that was suggestion from the TSB, but that didn't solve the problem either. The upper ball joints turned out to be the culprit. You can isolate this by driving over a driveway bump at an angle, and listen for the clunk....that will allow you to check if it's one side or the other, or both. The bushings which are pressed into the frame don't seem to be failing, although those were replaced as well (nowadays LR is suggesting replacing the entire structure, rather than pressing out the bushings).

Either way, it's an easy replacement....

·
Registered
318 Posts
PJPR01 said:
Although the sway bar bushings seem to come up in most conversations about the clunking, I believe the problem is more related to the upper ball joints.

I had originally had my sway bar bushings replaced as that was suggestion from the TSB, but that didn't solve the problem either. The upper ball joints turned out to be the culprit. You can isolate this by driving over a driveway bump at an angle, and listen for the clunk....that will allow you to check if it's one side or the other, or both. The bushings which are pressed into the frame don't seem to be failing, although those were replaced as well (nowadays LR is suggesting replacing the entire structure, rather than pressing out the bushings).

Either way, it's an easy replacement....
Mine would likely not make noise at this low speed and a bump that is not that severe. It has to be a pretty decent impact on one wheel at speeds over 20-25 mph...but I will try the driveway thing tonight for sanity's sake. Either way I'm covered under warranty, I just want to be able to converse with the SA about checking such things as UCA's, LCA's, ball joints, bushings, etc. They are pretty good but I want to leave them with the impression I know what I'm talking about (which I kind of do anyway).

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
The S/C with its fancy Dynamic Response system is more problematic to troubleshoot correctly when knocks or clunks are heard. An HSE without Dynamic Pack should be easier...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gooseyloosey said:
Yes, that is correct. And no aftermarket spacers etc, all OEM on the wheels.

umbertob said:
Did they just replace the ball joints?
Yes, I believe so.

Ukraine Range said:
It sounds exactly like mine - that dull, thudding knock explicitly from the front end when going over CERTAIN imperfections in the road, primarily when one wheel experiences it.
Yep, that's the noise.

Ukraine Range said:
Mine would likely not make noise at this low speed and a bump that is not that severe. It has to be a pretty decent impact on one wheel at speeds over 20-25 mph
Mine makes it even at 10-15 mph.

I'm going to take it in next week and test drive with the SM. I get great service so no issues there. I am still under warranty for another 12 months. I'll talk to them about upper ball joints, wheel bearings, lower and upper control arms, and bushings.

Thanks everyone for the great input, as usual.

Cheers,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
jacksun said:
gooseyloosey said:
Yes, that is correct.

Ukraine Range said:
It sounds exactly like mine - that dull, thudding knock explicitly from the front end when going over CERTAIN imperfections in the road, primarily when one wheel experiences it.
Yep, that's the noise.
:doh:

If its knocking its not a wheel bearing so scratch that of the list. The rumble sound which I am thinking of and a wheel bearing makes is more like having M/T tires on the car or running over the "wake up" strip on the side of the highway.

·
Registered
318 Posts
jacksun said:
gooseyloosey said:
Yes, that is correct. And no aftermarket spacers etc, all OEM on the wheels.

umbertob said:
Did they just replace the ball joints?
Yes, I believe so.

Ukraine Range said:
Yep, that's the noise.

[quote="Ukraine Range":1ae2uoxv]Mine would likely not make noise at this low speed and a bump that is not that severe. It has to be a pretty decent impact on one wheel at speeds over 20-25 mph
Mine makes it even at 10-15 mph.

I'm going to take it in next week and test drive with the SM. I get great service so no issues there. I am still under warranty for another 12 months. I'll talk to them about upper ball joints, wheel bearings, lower and upper control arms, and bushings.

Thanks everyone for the great input, as usual.

Cheers,
Wayne[/quote:1ae2uoxv]

Keep us updated and I will do the same as my service appt is this Monday and I am hoping its the simple changing of the front sway bar bushings. Thing is, when my truck is warmed up a little, and I'm crusing at highway speeds, I don't get any of that noticeable knocking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
just curious as to where I can get a copy of the TSB referenced in the above post - I am having this same issue - 08 RRS S/C w 36k miles.

thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got word back, the ACE bushings were shot (Active Cornering ?Something). I haven't picked it up yet, so not 100% sure it is fixed, but I'll soon find out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It actually wasn't the bushings, they put inserts in the existing bushings of the Active Cornering Enhancement sway bar per the TSB Umbertob posted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been through this twice. They did the TSB and replaced the sway bar, the bushings and god knows what else. The problem went away for a couple weeks then reappeared, of course. Sounds like a baseball inside a coffee can wrapped in a blanket, as one person on the board characterized it.
I was riding in my friend's 07HSE the other day and he had the same problem. I've given up on it and just assume it part of owning a sexy POS. :roll:

·
Registered
318 Posts
westgateRRS said:
I have been through this twice. They did the TSB and replaced the sway bar, the bushings and god knows what else. The problem went away for a couple weeks then reappeared, of course. Sounds like a baseball inside a coffee can wrapped in a blanket, as one person on the board characterized it.
I was riding in my friend's 07HSE the other day and he had the same problem. I've given up on it and just assume it part of owning a sexy POS. :roll:
You sound like someone who should own a Lexus.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
This Special Service Message popped up today on the GTR. It is directed at dealers, but it is obvious that some of them may be doing it wrong... What a mess.

Id 43336
Models
LA - Discovery 3
LS - Range Rover Sport
LA - Discovery 4

Title Front Suspension Lower Control Arm Bushing.
Last Modified 01-FEB-2010 09:12
Category Chassis
Symptom 304000 Suspension System

Content
Issue:
Incorrect replacement of the front suspension lower control arm bushing.

Cause:
Analysis of warranty returned parts from various markets has shown that there are incidences of incorrect repair in accordance with GTR, Section 204-01. Front Suspension. Lower Arm Bushing 60.35.33 on Land Rover Discovery and Range Rover Sport models. As a result the repair was ineffective causing unnecessary replacement of the lower control arm assembly, complete with both bushes and ball joint and rendering the dealer claim void.

Action:
Under no circumstances deviate from the process in method or tooling. The process includes a bushing to arm alignment procedure. It is very important that this is followed.
Use the correct tool as appropriate by checking the tool part number. No substitute is permissible.
If GTR cannot be followed for any reason, please either contact the Technical Helpline or submit a Technical Request for assistance. Submit an EPQR if required.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts