RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I did my first oil change on my 2004 Range Rover HSE(BTW where does the rubber gasket and bronze washer go that comes with the fram ch8213 oil filter kit prod_15829194107.jpg ) and to perform the oil change I raised the suspension all of the way up then turned off the vehicle. After I completed the oil change I was working on the lower gasket seal on the rear passenger door when my wife called me in for supper, so I left the door cracked open a little and then went in for supper.

As we were eating supper we hear a loud hissing noise coming from outside and thought "what was that", when I finished supper and came out side I found my range rover kneeling on the front drivers side, so I tried starting it and raising it back up and when the solenoid opened for the front drivers side bag it aired up and then all leaked out. then eventually went to a "air susp inact" message.

So one thing is obvious, that i'm going to need a reset tool, to reset the message once I fix the physical issue. So I have two questions as follows

What is the preferred reset tool? I like the idea of the icarsoft i930 cause I can also use it on my other vehicles, but I can't find out for sure if it will clear the air susp message.

Where is the most likely cause of the air leak? solenoid, bag or gasket?

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
The oring goes on the oil filter cap and the washer goes on the drain plug.

Air bag may have had a crack that was exposed by letting the suspension dangle, The rig would not have gone to sleep with the door left open so the EAS did an active check and found the sensor extended past wading mode and tried to air things back up... crack exposes again, air escaped, compressor over heated and suspension inactive. That is one option. Sensor arm may have been damaged and is reading incorrectly. Until you read the EAS codes stored it would all be guesswork though.

We have an entire diagnostic equipment section below. There is more than enough info to make an informed decision.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20160822_181348.jpg As you can see it is definitely a tear in the bag. So is it better to order the whole strut assembly, or is it pretty easy to replace just the bag? Also where to buy?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordered a used replacement full strut assembly for $180 including shipping, but also comes with a lifetime warranty, should be in tomorrow. I think i'll pull the bad one tonight so i'm ready when the replacement gets here tomorrow

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Tuesday night I pulled the bad strut out using this video as a guide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b61lKzT7-2c), the only thing I did different was, I had to use my jack to lift the whole wheel assembly to take the tension off of the tie rod bolt so that I could get it out and then I also unscrewed the height sensor from the body cause I noticed there was a lot of pressure on it and I didn't want to break it. Also damaged one of the two bolts that holds the strut on when I was hammering on it to get it out (they don't just fall out like they did in the video). And the icing on the cake was yesterday when the replacement strut showed up, it was apparent right away that it was pulled from a range rover that was converted to springs.

So for now the rover is sitting in my front yard kneeling on a jack stand, I ordered a new air strut from ebay so I'm hoping it'll be in by the weekend

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the replacement air strut from ebay ($230 with free shipping) and surprisingly it went in without any issues. Once I had the strut in I hooked up the my scan tool(I ended up purchasing the icarsoft i930) and went into the custom menus for the range rover and cleared the air suspension fault, and it lifted right up. Drove it down the road and back, raised it up and down, and so far everything seems to be working. I'll post back if anything changes

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Rooster is most likely referring to an Arnott unit. They take used struts that have bladder leaks, test them, clean them and repaint them. They then replace the bladder, pop a sticker on it give it a life time warranty for US folks. Not a bad deal but you have no idea how many miles are on that old strut with the shiny new paint. ;)

Then again maybe rooster found a new source for parts...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it from Pamsauto.com here in MN, great place to deal with, but there is a loophole in their "lifetime warranty", basically they offer a replacement if they have one in stock, which with popular parts like the air struts they are probably the first thing to sell off of the vehicle. So when I got the strut In the mail and noticed that it was pulled from a rover that had been converted to springs I called them and they said "let me see if we have a replacement" and they did not so they had the bad part shipped back and provided me a refund. I guess I could have said "i'll wait until you get a replacement in" but who knows how long that would be.

They sell on ebay under the name mini-genie here is a link to their store

http://stores.ebay.com/mini-genie?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

and here is an example of one of their struts with the lifetime warranty

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STRUT-FOR-RANGE-ROVER-1640441-03-04-05-06-07-08-09-ASSY-REAR-LIFETIME-WARRANTY-/291847275695?fits=Model:Range+Rover&hash=item43f37404af:g:rV0AAOSwA4dWL~fb&vxp=mtr

kind of nice that they sell on ebay cause they also allow you to make a best offer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts