RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I was driving my 99 down the freeway thursday night at 4am i heard this horrible metal on metal grinding and clunking noise and all of a sudden loss of power. My front drive shaft fell out of the diff and was draggin on the ground. The Ujoints let loose along with the seal and all the diff fluid was draining out on the highway. I had it towed and when we got it off the truck, the shaft feel all the way off. What I need to know is it ok to drive with only the rear shaft in place while I source out a new shaft and repair? And how can I tell if there was any damage done to the front differential?? Please someone help as I am fairly new to 4wd vehicles. or if any one have pics of the front diff so i can plan the repair? Thanks sorry my first post had to be done in this matter as I have been watching the forum for a few months.

here is a pic of my baby.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have an experienced person look at the damage before moving it. If the Pinion flange is broken off the diff will need to come out.
Also of note, please add your location to your profile so you can be directed to the closest repair and parts facilities :wink:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Previous reply is good advice. If you have mechanical interest then at least test runout of pinion shaft on front diff with a dial micrometer. Also would be good to figure out if transfer case front end took a beating when this happened. Some on this site have driven on one shaft only but I believe you might lose effectiveness of parking brake and park lock-up. Sprry to hear of that trouble at that time of day. Any prior symptoms like vibration before it all let go? Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did experience a small vibration for the last week or so while accelerating but i figured it was a wheel bearing going out. I will take a look at the front diff and transfer case tomorrow to look for any damage. As far as location I am in Ft. Lauderdale, FL so i dont do any off road driving or anything like that. But will continuing to drive on the rear only do any more damage since i really need a car for the next few days? Thanks for the quick replies.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I would not think that it is good to drive. I forget what it is that you will fry when you drive it without the front shaft but, if I remember correctly, it is pricey so don't do it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
check out my little story of a broken front diff...i would suggest that checking the seals and bearings in the front diff is very important. hopefully it won't cost you quite as much as mine did...just last week...must be front end season... :think:

cheers

george

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did read your story macjager in my search for information. Sorry you had to pay so much, I could be ****ed since I am economically classified as below the poverty line at this point in time. But I did take pictures of the damage. Looks like a dented Trans Pan, and two broken pinion shafts? if that is the correct term for this part, and a chewed up end to the Front drive shaft. Any advice on how easy this is all to replace?

·
Registered
105 Posts
You are lucky, unbolt the broken flanges and get a complete shaft from a wrecking yard, pull and pound out the pan and replace/repair the filter and pick up if damaged. Could have been worse and broke housings or siezed a pinion :shock:
Should take about 15 min to swap in a new shaft, you may have to put one front wheel in the air to line up the bolt holes on the flanges :wink:
Get busy now :clap:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
May you tell us the truck's mileage for the stats.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
TLee said:
Looking at those last three pics, I'd say a lack of grease, overheated the u-joint on the flange, causing it to be weakened. It eventually 'let go' dropping the shaft on the road! Actually, where has the grease-nipple gone?

Better get the grease gun out guys.... When was the last time you did yours?? :?:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Just a wee tip on my side, grease up shfats every service, more often if crossing water or on bad roads.
Inspect regularly by lifting up one axle and testing each joint turning by hand.

If you dont do servicing yourself and it goes to a local non LR dealer inform them that you want this done and why.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know you guys are hard core about the EAS but I blew a bag and did not trust replacing one then blowing another after riding around on the bump stops. :doh: Tomorrow I will be taking apart the joint and attempting to remove the trans pan. Remember it is about 100 degrees during the day and working outside on my truck is brutal, but it is what it is. Atlantic British has the shaft for $146.00, any other parts supplier out there I could check??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So today was not too hot so i went out and attempted to take the trans pan off and bang it out. When it got dented it messed up the back side clearance to fit a socket behind one of the bolts so i was forced to use a open box end wrench and I stripped the the bolt trying to break it loose. I used liquid wrench and everything and it still stripped. Leading me to believe it has been some time since the trans filter was replaced. Now i need to take it to the shop to cut the bolt since i do not have the tools to do it myself. The ujoints seem to not be leaking so Trans pan is now #! priority. I need my truck asap.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Wow i'll be checking shafts in the A.M.

Thanks, and sorry for the bad luck..

Scotty

·
Registered
217 Posts
Where do I start?#1 You can drive it with just the back shaft but drive it very, very easy as you are putting all the torque and hp to the back wheels only and the gears and driveshaft are not designed for that. #2 When you stop anywhere and leave the vehicle in park it may role away very slowly so chalk the wheels and don't forget to use your E-brake. #3 Grease, grease, grease!, from the pics of your diff it looks like you have not greased it for a long time. :naughty: Looking at the pic of your pinion flange I would have to agree with the other post that your u-joint overheated and snapped off the cap holder for the joint and the splines on the driveshaft look to be rusty and lacking, you guessed it, GREASE!. If you are having EAS problems I would suggest looking up RSW solutions on the web. The fella to talk to is Storey Wilson about your air-ride problems, he's a genius and will personally help you out. Pounding out the dents in that trans pan is a waist of time, go buy a new or used one as you will never get it to seal properly and with the price of oil going up and up and well, up it will pay for itself in no time. Best of luck, Big-T. And don't forget, grease your truck at least twice a year and after every off-road playday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the advice everyone. Even though it was 100 degrees and I was laying on blacktop, I attempted to drop the pan and was going to put a brand new one on and just my luck one of the bolts snapped and another one stripped . I don't have a drill or a tap and die set so it was off to the shop to get the pan off and replaced. Since it was in i had them do the driveshaft as well. Thus proving if you throw enough money at any situation it will be ok.

So 1600 dollars later for parts and labor my truck is back on the road. I know I got hosed, but there are not many RR shops down here. Lesson learned grease your driveshafts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish I would have seen this post before, the same thing happened to me and the mechanic took the rest of the front driveshaft off and I have been driving without it for almost two years. The thing you must know thought it to keep your emergency brakes on or the truck could roll backwards..I did notice the power isn't the same and in the snow, but if your in a bind and have to, its safe and won't harm the truck..Also you don't have to go to Range Rover to get a driveshaft, I order from off line and have another mechanic do it. Some things Range Rover has to do, but some things they don't, its to expensive and this is one. Good luck

1 - 20 of 36 Posts