RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having intermittent problems with the speakers in the front two doors on my car and decided to pull them apart not clever as it is 35 c plus outside anyway I only noticed now I have three speakers in each door and a crossover amplifier the tweeters are working fine and the mid on the left front the tweeter is the only speaker working on the front right I checked all the wiring and all is ok is it a common fault for the amp/crossover to go like that or is there another fix for this problem?
Thanks

Jerry

·
Registered
453 Posts
Amps within the door don't seem to go bad too often.

Double check the wiring, if not swap out th amp in the door to check

Swap left to right to see if the problem goes with the amp

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do I did check for cotinuity along the cables but could not get it between the head unit and the amp followed and check the wire but no obvious faults but if there was now signal coming in from the HU then there would be no sound at all?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Your right the signal - sound comes to each door amp through 2 wires and is split in the amp to the speaker.

No sound from some of the speakers is either duff speaker, duff wiring (amp to speaker) or duff amp

try swapping the amps

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok no signal coming from HU but I am getting sound on the tweeter the subwoofer works when I plug it into the mid socket and all the wires connecting the amp to the speakers are fine I can only think it must be the amp

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Had the same issue on right rear door, pulled off door card (Panel) checked wiring, all ok.
Then removed amp and stripped it down, magnifying glass revealed nice dry spots on soldered pins from plug to Pcb area.
Resoldered and all ok..

When re assembling just nip up screws securing main IC chip to housing or it will crack

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Have a closer look at the speaker. The paper inside is bonded to the frame of the speaker with a plastic. This plastic is affected by tropical heat and falls to piece by the speaker vibration. When the plastic is gone the speaker doesn't work anymore.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info the speakers are definatly alright I tested them on the mid range wiring. Not to sure how a dry spot looks like on a solder but will google it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the problem is intermitent and come and goes almost like a loose wire but not as constant it doesnt turn on and off when i hit a bump in the road or drive on gravel roads

1 - 9 of 9 Posts