RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have about 74K on my RRS now. Stopped by the dealership today. I'm getting a humming vibration that feels like it's coming up thorugh the steering rack when driving steady around 25mph and 42mph. Service manager is 85% sure it's the front differential. But of course that's about a $2500 job he says. He thinks there's probably some pitted bearings inside. Anyone serviced their's yet? Any suggestions? Was thinking about an independent shop taking a look at it. Or do you think just having it serviced might do the trick versus replacing the entire unit.?

By the way, just picked up the wife's LR3 for the 67K service. Crazy money for basically what came down to an oil change - $231.00 when all was said and done. Sure they went over the car...but really now. :roll:
 

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
123 Posts
I'm wondering about the same feeling through my steering on a '06 with 43k miles. The front diff was replaced about 10k miles ago after it was making a groaning noise at low speeds. It's starting to do it again, so I'm wondering if it's related. I haven't had the diff serviced since it was replaced, though. I'm trying to nail down if it's a feeling from the tires, road surface, or the diff itself.

Keep us posted on the outcome. I'll be having the dealer look at this when I take it back with the "almost-out-of-warranty" list.
 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
Regarding servicing, its just more efficient and cost effective to have the old differential replaced with a rebuilt differential--- unless you don't need the car for a while. You should get a core charge refund for the old one.

I would highly suggest you guys change your fr/rr diff fluid every 30-40K--it really helps them last longer.

And it wouldn't hurt to try changing the fluid to see if that helps before you shell out for a replacement.
 

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
4,469 Posts
The front diff fluid appears to be wearing faster (gets blacker faster) than the rear diff or the transfer case or the transmission. As a general rule, changing every 30k is very advisable...and quite contrary to the recommended intervals in the LR literature. It's very fast and easy to change, the fluid is a bit expensive, but a LOT less expensive than replacing a diff. The $2500 quote is way off the mark as a first diagnosis without even opening up the diff and checking the fluid.

The vibration or hum is definitely related to the low or worn out fluid...but you'll be able to tell if you have any issues once they remove the magnetic drain plug...and look at the shavings there.
 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
Yeah, what Paul said. :D

Btw, if you do a forum search you will find the directions for changing the fluids in both--courtesy of Umberto.

As a suggestion, if you get it done outside of the dealer network take those fill instructions w you and give them to the guy doing the change, because its not the normal "fill until the spill". I also purchased my diff oil from the dealer as its a very specific type of Castrol that's not available as such in the US at retail. Not saying other appropriately coded API-GL's won't work, but I did not feel like taking the chance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
Wasn't there an issue with the early build of the 06 that had a contaminated diff. I believe the parts supplier painted the inside causing the paint to come off causing issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news I think. Looks like it's just a leaky seal. Called around to some differnetial specialists...should be about $100 to fix, if it's just a quick seal. So why is it that every fluid in these cars is "special" or special additives (power steering, etc) :lol: Especially since Ford owned this company for some time. What did that fluid cost you through the dealership?
 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
seanFLA said:
Good news I think. Looks like it's just a leaky seal. Called around to some differnetial specialists...should be about $100 to fix, if it's just a quick seal. So why is it that every fluid in these cars is "special" or special additives (power steering, etc) :lol: Especially since Ford owned this company for some time. What did that fluid cost you through the dealership?
That's good news.

The LR brand front/rear gear oil is about $8/qt at my dealer, which I was pleasantly surprised as its not out of line for a full synthetic gear oil. If you have the rear locker its about $20/qt. I've always used Redline or Mobil 1 gear oils in my cars with no problems, but they cost even more and I figured why take the chance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
Goosey, is it ok to mix the oil even if there was a a different brand in there prior to the draining?
 

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
5,175 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
Goosey, is it ok to mix the oil even if there was a a different brand in there prior to the draining?
Do you mean just replacing the LRN 7591 with Mobil 1 or another brand of equivalent spec at the change?

If so, yes, it should be fine. I'm still under warranty so I just didn't want to deal with any issues if something happened.

You can't mix GL4's and 5's(the RRS uses GL5), and I wouldn't custom blend in the differential with 1/2 one brand and 1/2 another.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
Goosey, is it ok to mix the oil even if there was a a different brand in there prior to the draining?
Do you mean just replacing the LRN 7591 with Mobil 1 or another brand of equivalent spec at the change?

If so, yes, it should be fine. I'm still under warranty so I just didn't want to deal with any issues if something happened.

You can't mix GL4's and 5's(the RRS uses GL5), and I wouldn't custom blend in the differential with 1/2 one brand and 1/2 another.
Yes- I meant a replacement. Won't do a custom blend unless I can smoke it :)

Thanks.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top