RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise that there is a sticky dealing with this subject but I would like to find out if anyone has any evidence to refute or support my problem.

I recently purchased a Range Rover L322 2004 MY 4.4 litre (BMW M62 motor) It came as a non runner due to the fact that the front differential spline had stripped resulting in a loss of drive. Whilst I realise that the Q041 service action has expired, my vehicle has a full dealer history and I have evidence that three services were carried out on the car by Land Rover garages during the time that the service action was in force. They obviously did not carry out the action.

After much corresponding with Land Rover South Africa, they have now stated that this service action has never applied to my vehicle in spite of my providing copies of the literature I downloaded from TOPIX showing that it is affected.

I am bashing my head against a brick wall with these guys. I need as much paperwork as possible to try and shake some sense into them before I give it to my lawyers.

Or perhaps someone has a contact with Land Rover head office that I can contact for assistance.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I really hope you can do it nicely. My friend has an equinox with numerous issues and when he calls about some of them they are unique to the vehicle until he sees all the similar complaints posted to the internet. GM is famous for that and probably everyone else. I hope you have the desire to see it thru and that justice will prevail.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been fighting with Land Rover South Africa over a similar issue with one of my other vehicles for over a year now. Luckily it has a very low mileage and the spline has not stripped. Yet.

From the literature I have seen, when the Q041 was implemented, Land Rover head office instructed all dealers to contact the owners of affected vehicles to advise them of the Service Action and to arrange to have the job done. The previous owner of my car has claimed that he never heard from Land Rover which is why the action was not carried out. I was hoping Land Rover would step up and offer to do the work in spite of the fact that the service action has already expired but this did not happen. (surprise, surprise). Anyway I had no way of proving this one way or the other so I grudgingly let it rest.

But my latest vehicle is a different matter entirely. As I mentioned before, Land Rover approved service centres/dealers had the car in their workshops on three occasions and didnt do the work. Instead of accepting liabilty and trying to correct the "oversight" they are now back pedalling and tying to wriggle out of it.

Their Technical Department is absolutely clueless and they are digging themselves into a deeper and deeper hole. I have collected as much info as I can about the action and the affected vehicles and I have provided them with absolute proof that my car is on the list but they keep coming up with feeble excuses. The evidence I have is the kind of stuff that would have lawyers climbing over each other to take on the case as I reckon it is a "dead cert" win if it went to court but I dont want to go that route.

I guess they hope that I will just go away if they carry on being awkward but that is not going to happen. In the begining I was willing to meet half way with Land Rover and suggest that they supply the necessary parts and I would do the job to take the labour costs out of the equation but now I am getting fed up and want them to do the whole job. Plus I will throw my other car into the mix even though I had laughed it off already.

I apologise for my ranting but I get very worked up when a company such as Land Rover tries to screw one of their most passionate supporters.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
878 Posts
I have run into this several times with cars over the years. The legal problem is that you bought the car in that condition, after the recall had expired. At least here in the states, that falls under "buyer beware". They will always say you could have checked with them before the purchase to see if the recall had been accomplished, and then adjusted your purchase price accordingly.

If you were the owner when the recall was current, you would have a case. The original owner would have a case, but I am afraid you do not. As it stands, they don't have to do it, and corporate will not cover a dealer's costs if they did it out of kindness.

I feel your pain. I've been through this several times.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a different take on this. I bought the car knowing it had a problem and did get it for a good price. I was not aware that the diff spline failure was the actual problem but that is irrelevant. I have read that this service action applied to the vehicle, irrespective of who owns or owned it, so whether I am the second owner or the fifth should also be irrelevant.

I feel it was Land Rovers responsibility to ensure that this work was carried out during the routine maintainance when they had the vehicle in their workshops and their failure to do it should not allow them to wash their hands of the issue.

We all know the world is full of vehicle owners who wouldn't know a spark plug from a dip stick or a service action from an oil change. Vehicle manufactures have to recognise this and do things to protect owners from themselves. There must be laws to protect the public from being screwed my manufacturers or dealers but I am no legal expert so maybe I am expecting too much.

If I was to list the hogwash that I have been fed by Land Rover South Africa concerning Q041, I bet most forum members who read it would think that I am making it up. It would actually be quite laughable if it was not so frustrating.

Anyway. I will not be giving up and will post if any progress is made.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
And the GT40 might still be a small production vehicle with a few more ghur"s in the world. Good to release your rant.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Halleluja.

I have been chasing Land Rover non stop since my first post on this diff issue and finally today I get a phone call from Land Rover South Africa stating that I was right all along and they were wrong and they are liable for this Q041 as it was not carried out when it should have been.

They apologised profusely for any inconvenience and upset to me and my family that may have been caused by their oversight and I can now take my vehicle to any approved Land Rover facility in South Africa for the service action to be completed free of charge.

It has nearly driven me mad getting here but finally it is nearly over. Now I should ask if they will also pay for all the hair I have pulled out during my quest.

Anyway all I can now say is thanks to Land Rover for doing the right thing even if it has been a long time coming and that my faith in the brand has been restored.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Thanks for providing a good news story. It would be really interesting to know what created the sea change in thought but that might be pushing it. When I looked under ours the joint had been changed but LRNA did not show that on a recall check I did so it still makes me wonder who paid for it since our girl has been thru numerous hands including if the names match a prominent local funeral home.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason they would not accept responsibilty in the begining was due to the fact that the service action had expired and as a result it was not showing up on their system. Obviously all they could see on the system was current service actions of which there is actually one applicable to my car but for a minor unrelated problem. I provided them with pages and pages of info proving that it was applicable including that from TOPIX.

When they phoned me to offer the good news they said that they had checked on a totally different system (whatever that means) and lo and behold there was the onfo. So it was all down to a bit of finger trouble in the begining and the people I was dealing with not understanding their own "system".

It has been a very frustrating time chasing this and more than a few angry words have been spoken to the people I was dealing with. In desperation during my last call I demanded to speak to a "manager" and she must have kicked some butt and got things done. I am pleased that they were big enough to admit their mistake outright and apologise. (maybe they will offer me a fancy courtesy car for a day or two. I would enjoy cruising around in a new model impressing my friends).

So Diff - maybe your car was a funeral wagon in the past 8-0=

1 - 9 of 9 Posts