RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I recently purchased a 1999 range rover p38. I busted the front differential. My question is does any know where I can get a rebuild kit or can I just buy a after market setup to rebuild it. Will other setups work. I'm new to 4wds and I need help

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
492 Posts
ALLFour x 4 spares in Australia has them but no one knows where you are so probably no good for you though???
x

·
Super Moderator
2,222 Posts
Ashcroft transmissions if you are in the UK but if you've blown a front diff chances are your viscous coupling in the transfer case is seized which is what did the diff. So you'll need one of those too.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
359 Posts
Ashcroft transmissions if you are in the UK but if you've blown a front diff chances are your viscous coupling in the transfer case is seized which is what did the diff. So you'll need one of those too.
How tight is that viscous coupling? When I jack a front wheel up on mine I can't spin it..

·
Super Moderator
2,222 Posts
You won't be able to. To test the viscous unit on the car you need to remove the front propshaft and use a torque wrench on the front output shaft nut. Apply a clockwise torque of 27 Nm to output flange nut. If no resistance to turn is felt, unit requires replacing. If resistance to turn is felt, apply a clockwise torque of 20Nm,to output flange nut for 1 minute, this should result in a rotation of approximately 25° - 30°. If no rotation or a greater force is required, unit is seized and requires replacing.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Visco

there is an easier way to do it. find some large patch of gravel road.

lower you windows or get somebody else to listen outside
Drive an 8

if your rear tyres rub a lot in the gravel it is locked up

front diff

they usually die for lack of oil
bearings are the same as in the Disco 1 Defender etc.
CWP you can get from Evolution in the UK. They make all the gearbox and axle parts so you buy quality. Hence this is where I buy my stuff

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
How tight is that viscous coupling? When I jack a front wheel up on mine I can't spin it..
Put a breakerbar on a wheelnut and apply an increasing force (clockwise, so you don't loosen the nut). The wheel should start to turn, with a constant resistance, at about 50Nm. Make sure the other axle is chocked and gearbox in N (handbrake off if you check at the rear). Filip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a bad viscous coupling in my transfer case. I found a used one for a great price. Do I need to replace the entire transfer case or van I swap viscous couplings. Also how can I test it to see if it's any good while the transfer case is out of the truck. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
You can replace just the viscous coupling with the transfer box in the car. You do have to drop the gearbox/transfer assembly a bit for access.
To test, put a breaker bar at the front and rear output flange and try to rotate in opposite directions. If it's possible, with some 'sticky' resistance, the viscous is working. If it rotates freely or is locked solid, it's buggered.

Filip

·
Super Moderator
2,222 Posts
See Technical Information here https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/viscous-couplings/range-rover-viscous-coupling.html it can be tested off the car on the bench. The Viscous Coupling can be changed with the transfer case in the car. Drop the front propshaft off, undo the nut securing the propshaft flange, pull the flange off, undo the ring of bolts on the VC cover and the whole lot comes out. If you've got a spare complete transfer case to pull apart you've got something to practice on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts