RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting a ton of noise and vibration so i rebuilt my rear differential and while that problem went away I still hear a noise. It's coming from the middle/front of the car, hard to place where it is. But it sounds like a grinding/howling sound sort of, hard to explain. Seems to be louder while accelerating. You think it's the front diff or the transfer case chain? can the transfer case even be rebuilt? If it can I may do the front diff first and then transfer case chain.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
We have no idea what year or model you are referring to. please ad your Rover's info to your signature as noted in the guidelines.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its hard to describe. I'll just end up reguilding the front diff and if noise still there then i'll look into doing a chain for TC

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,470 Posts
Check fluid levels first on front diff/transfer case...

Check wheel bearings for play...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already checked and changed the front diff and transfer case fluids. I rebuilt the rear so that has new fluid in it. I'll check the wheel bearings too and see if there is any play. I did check the passenger side wheel bearing, it was a little stiff to turn but no play.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
873 Posts
I have seen videos where the person put his phone in an attachement underneath the car and videoed and recorded the sound. Moving it around should pin point the source of the noise.
There is also a set of electronic tools to do the same thing, but the phone seems to work just fine.
I don't know where you can buy the clamp on holder but they are available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts