RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, there I was driving to Toronto to visit mother and about an hour out I started hearing a bit of a metal "growl" coming from underneath somewhere...well by the time I got to the shopping mall it got worse...it's when I tried to turn into a parking spot (in the parking garage...never park your truck there because getting it out is :shock: tow trucks don't fit in parking garages) it would jam and not move. I had to manoeuvre it back and forth a few times to get it in. Next step, go to the Apple store in the mall, drop of my computer for diagnosis and while it is getting checked hop on the free internet and check local LR repair shops (not the stealers). I managed to find Birkshire Automobiles, dealers in fine British automobiles :lol: and they managed to hook me up with a towing company. The drama unfolded when we had to try and get the vehicle out of the garage, he couldn't get the truck in there so we had to try and drive it out. We thought it might be a CV joint at first because the vehicle would not go forward when the wheels were turned...and the horrible metal on metal grinding noise was just outrageous. Anyway, I somehow managed to get her out with the occasional back and forth gear changing (and low for more torque), pulled up on the truck and away we went.
I had to try and get this thing fixed in short order as I was only in the city for a day (two as it turned out) because I was home for a holiday and Sunday I go back to the Middle East for work (military assistance). Sam at the shop had it checked out in a few hours and it turns out that the front diff was shot. When I came to pick up the vehicle he showed me the diff, seems that the seal bearings (?) overheated, broke apart and sent small bits into the diff, causing damage, grinding, etc. So, $4000 later, I have a new diff... interestingly I now have less shake at 100 kph on the highway...There was plenty of fluid in the diff, so it was not caused by a lack of lubricant. I did have the diff seal replaced last year, but up until the moment of trouble I there had been no evidence of impending doom, no sounds, grinding wooble or whatever...
still like my truck, much more comfortable than the wife's Element... If you ever need service in Toronto, or want to buy a nice Jag (or '79 Rolls Royce :roll: ) talk to Sam, he provides great service and after that work is done he has the car washed and detailed!

cheers

george

·
Registered
966 Posts
a) $4000 for any repair on this truck is too much. Its only worth a tiny bit more than that.

b) The fact that the same part that you got replaced a year ago is what caused the whole diff to fail would lead me to seek damages from whoever installed that seal. Why did you replaced that seal in the first place?

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Good Grief! Did they buy you dinner and a bottle of lube first? :shock: You can buy an entire front axle assembly here for $700-900. You got seriously raped. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unfortunately, as the car broke down 3 hours from home, the wife was working and I was only three days away from redeploying overseas, there was not much of a choice in the matter. The part cost $2000 or so, labour, taxes, towing etc...If I just dumped the vehicle then I would have to spend at least double the money to get something similar (anther RR - 96-02), and then I would be out the $10 k I paid two years ago plus another $10 k for another...this way I only drop $4k...
Remember, this is a RR and frankly, they cost money...just like a beautiful woman...mind you, the truck does not like the wife, so I am sure jealousy played a part in my misfortune.
How does one get a front assembly for 700-900, unless it is from a wrecker? anyway, check your seals for any leaks... :oops:

george

·
Registered
538 Posts
Tim (Scotland) said:
I have a bridge for sale...

[attachment=0:wl7a1pw2]180-400x-tower bridge.jpg[/attachment:wl7a1pw2]
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
macjager said:
take a trade?...slightly used, new diff, '99 RR :dance:
Does that come with the dinner and a kiss? :lol:

I understand completely about being in a time pinch and not wanting or not being able to deal with a repair.

My first three Mondays of P38 ownership were spent making calls from the Indie shop to my mother asking if she'd like to have lunch and kill some time while my rig was in for suspension issues. The fourth Sunday she called and asked what time I'd like her to meet me at the shop on Monday. :? Even after reading every single P38 post on this site I wanted nothing to do with my suspension just yet. The really great part is that I had some dang great lunches and haven't been back in the shop since except to say hi or to have an exhaust leak verified.

Thanks for being a great sport about your time in the dark alley. :thumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rimmer bros charges 859 GBP when turned into Can $ is $1628 plus there is things like shipping and handling...my item cost $2304 Can and labour was $900 (couple of other minor things done at the same time) + $400 tax...all in all not great but not worth buying a bridge... :D

g

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I hate to say it but I've lived in T.O. most of my life and have never heard of that company. They did get you going but I wonder if you could have disconnected the front driveshaft and just drove on the rear but maybe the bearings/gears would still be grinding. Sorry for your trouble but to their credit they found a spare diff unit for you. That has to be some kind of record. There is a mechanic who operates as DiscoTech west of the airport who would also do anyone well, just in case. This thread also shows how costs appear relatively high in Canadian $'s :shock:

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
macjager said:
Rimmer bros charges 859 GBP when turned into Can $ is $1628 plus there is things like shipping and handling...my item cost $2304 Can and labour was $900 (couple of other minor things done at the same time) + $400 tax...all in all not great but not worth buying a bridge... :D

g
Try Ashcroft Transmissions. I notice that they rebuild p38 diffs now at a fraction of a genuine one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interestingly enough, when I was checking for local repair shops (whilst at the Apple Store), it was Discotech that I called, however they had literally just closed their doors the week before and sold everything to Birkshire!
Disconnecting the front propshaft would not have solved the problem as there were bits from the bearing flopping around causing the diff to lock up...
Tim, next you're going to tell me that he swapped out the air suspension for springs when I wasn't looking... :shock: :D

george

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
I think this is a prime example for buying 'breakdown insurance'. I got my rear diff changed when it was making terminal noises. It cost me NZ$250 (~£100 ~US$180) - the cost of the excess on the policy... 8)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
George. Thanks for the heads up on Discotech. I had really enjoyed meeting that owner and he really is a genuine guy and the type of person you would like to have working on your rangie. It seems to be a pity that a dealer can survive with the usually poor reputation but a hands on capable individual can't. I hope I can track him down when I need help with ours, unless he went into retirement. Best regards.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,425 Posts
When I broke my rear diff some years ago, I had no option but to buy a new crownwheel and pinion at dealer prices. There were no second hand units around and almost no P38A in wrecking yards. All up, I think it cost me about A$2K. The C&P was over A$1K.

List for a complete diff was over A$4K.

Now I have two spare C&P in the garage - ones I bought from Hardy when he went to 4.11 gears.

Sometimes one has to take it. Time or other things are against one. I know how you feel. I took a wheel and forks off my V-Strom in to the mechanics for straightening - hoping it wouldn't be too expensive. I got the call today: A$1200. Gahhhh!!! New fork outers needed and Suzuki charge a fortune.

It looks like I won't be retiring next month after all.

·
Registered
922 Posts
It looks like I won't be retiring next month after all.
Naah... gotta fund your obsessions somehow :think: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts