RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking front cover off a nut fell out I think from inside the case wondering if anybody knows where. I never seen a nut like that. And 2nd question about to change the timing chain and I checked the timing marks, Rave says 6 and 12 o clock on cam and crank sprocket. Both of mine are at 12 o clock does that matter? I couldn’t find upto99 only from99. I got a 98. Rather ask before I screw something up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Not sure about the nut. Does in fact have thread? If it fell off the outside, it probably got lost during some earlier work.

As for the timing, just turn the crank one more revolution. The came only rotates at half speed, so that will put the timing marks at 6 and 12. Leaving them as is will work as well, but it's easier to line up if the marks are closer together, less margin for error.

Filip

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
the marks looks at each other, thus crank sets at 12 and cam sets at 6, they line with each other and pointing to each other. clean before disassembly so you can see the mark. also a good rule of thumb clean engine before any major disassembly to avoid unwanted debris falling into it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The nut is a real strange one, can’t say I’ve seen one like that anywhere on the engine, I think it’s a foreign object,, 12&6 for the sprockets, but that’s been covered already

·
Registered
298 Posts
Does that nut have threads? It almost looks like some kind of push on clip in which case it is probably from the outside bodywork.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts