RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys first post. I was wondering about the valves in the front cover.
I bought a 97 range rover 4.0 for 400 to play with. It was listed as bad rear main seal. I decided to pull the engine and rebuild it. I have the front cover off and everything looks good I cleaned it up real good and I noticed the shaft inside the spring of the valve you can see by looking through the oil filter inlet moves back and forth freely inside the spring. Is this normal? This is my first range rover so I'm not to familiar with it. I would also like to know the torque needed for the mains and rod bearings in ft lbs. And lastly I noticed the transmission seems to shift slowly between 2 and 3 like a slip once in awhile? Is this a valve body, band, or sensor problem you think?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
Pressure relief valve- it's normal. See http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/282161-oil-pressure-relief-valve-orientation.html#post1955962
If you're doing a rebuild, how have you managed to get this far without the workshop manual?! It's called RAVE, has all torque figures and you can download it from the FAQs section at top of main page:
www.landroverresource.com
As for the transmission, first thing, flush fluid and replace filter screen, fill using correct procedure and then see how it is.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
Ah well
There's an online version here

1 - 6 of 6 Posts