RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am still finalizing my HSE V6 options in the next week or so. Difficult task as most know. Based on input from this board definitely adding extra duty package option and wanted to get people's feedback on the pros and cons (if any besides price) on the front climate comfort and visibility package. I live in a warmer climate so I don't need the heated back seats, steering wheel and windshield. The 16 way front seats, AHBA, memory adaptive xenon headlamps, and front center cooler compartment look quite appealing however. Too bad these are bundled with cold climate options. What are folks experience with these? TIA

My current build is:
HSE V6. (Can't stomach the gas mileage on the V8; too bad no diesel option)
21 inch wheels (style 14) if available with 3rd row seating. If not will default to 20"
5+2 seating
Exta duty package
Causeway grey exterior (a close second is the Mariana black)
Ebony/lunar; ebony seats
Ebony headliner
Grand black veneer
Meridian upgrade 19 speaker

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Re: Front climate comfort and visibility package...your thoughts

Gas mileage is not that different between the two and since it comes with a larger tank you may even visit the station less often.
I would give up all options for V8 Dynamic .. Oh wait, I did :) Now I'm considering waiting for the 2015 model given the major changes coming soon.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

As long as the 2 little ones on boosters can fit in and around town, then it serves its purpose for me. Yes the V8 would be ideal, no question, but just staying practical for city/suburbs. Besides when the diesels arrive hopefully in the next few years, I can always upgrade, assuming my first LR experience is positive with regards to reliability....

·
Registered
531 Posts

If you hate scratches on your shiny stuffs, STAY AWAY FROM GRAND BLACK VENEER. It scratches so easily, like inevitably.

·
Registered
222 Posts

I also got the 5+2 knowing it will come in handy in a pinch.

The second row seats are able to slide forward, giving enough room in the third row for children and oompa loompas.

Consider the Vision and Convenience package too. I highly regret not getting it.

Slow close doors are great for children, elderly, & wimps who are unable to slam the door shut. And especially great in tight parking spaces when you cant give the door a good slam.

Park Assist is something I dont see myself really using, but in my opinion a great feature to have in the future considering many new cars are now including it as standard.

In a few years when its time to sell your RRS, more soccer moms will be interested in an SUV that can "park itself"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

If you hate scratches on your shiny stuffs, STAY AWAY FROM GRAND BLACK VENEER. It scratches so easily, like inevitably.
I presume you have the grand black veneer? If so, is it any different from the other veneer options in terms of propensity for scratches? I really like the grand black, so what are some scratch preventative options?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I also got the 5+2 knowing it will come in handy in a pinch.

The second row seats are able to slide forward, giving enough room in the third row for children and oompa loompas.

Consider the Vision and Convenience package too. I highly regret not getting it.

Slow close doors are great for children, elderly, & wimps who are unable to slam the door shut. And especially great in tight parking spaces when you cant give the door a good slam.

Park Assist is something I dont see myself really using, but in my opinion a great feature to have in the future considering many new cars are now including it as standard.

In a few years when its time to sell your RRS, more soccer moms will be interested in an SUV that can "park itself"
Curious, did you get the 20 or 21 inch wheels with the 3rd row seating? I am hoping I can get the 21 inch wheels but heard they are not allowing this combo in the USA. I'll know for sure next week when I meet with my dealer.

I am not really considering the vision and convenience package at the moment since I am not all interested in the soft door close and park assist, although the other items in this package appear very useful. I hear you on the resell aspects but I don't think it would really add that much. Also If you choose this option in the USA, it forces you to bundle with front climate and visibility package.....which puts you over 4 grand....

·
Registered
155 Posts

I would have to say though that I like Park Assist and soft close options. Not that I am particularly bad at parallel parking but it kind of takes the guess work out of it, and kind of fun to see the steering wheel move by itself! Soft close, also like the way it works. I like this LR implementation where it only works when it's needed, better than other ones I've seen (where the car "catches" the door and then soft close).

·
Registered
531 Posts

I presume you have the grand black veneer? If so, is it any different from the other veneer options in terms of propensity for scratches? I really like the grand black, so what are some scratch preventative options?
Yes I have it and it scratches like hell. Around the climate control not so much. around the gear shift, it has so many scratches.
The only way to prevent scratches is NOT touch it at all, not even clean it as microfiber does scratch it. Perhaps vacuum the dust.

·
Registered
222 Posts

I have the 20" wheels but the LR website allows you to configure 5+2 with 21" wheels

·
Registered
155 Posts

Yes I have it and it scratches like hell. Around the climate control not so much. around the gear shift, it has so many scratches.
The only way to prevent scratches is NOT touch it at all, not even clean it as microfiber does scratch it. Perhaps vacuum the dust.
I have the same trim. I haven't touched it at all, as it does look vulnerable to micro-scratches. Vacuuming it sounds like something I can do for now. Wonder if there is a better solution.

·
Registered
531 Posts

Is it still clean, even when you shine a light at it and look at it directly from top? Because that's impressive.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Is it still clean, even when you shine a light at it and look at it directly from top? Because that's impressive.
It's not clean, but not quite dirty enough to require cleaning yet. However, it's getting there... I will need to do something about it soon.

·
Registered
531 Posts

It's not clean, but not quite dirty enough to require cleaning yet. However, it's getting there... I will need to do something about it soon.
Sorry, I meant clean from scratches not dirt.

·
Registered
112 Posts

I have the same trim. I haven't touched it at all, as it does look vulnerable to micro-scratches. Vacuuming it sounds like something I can do for now. Wonder if there is a better solution.
I am getting the black piano finish also. I read on another post that you could use Opti Coat. I would like to know more.......anybody have any experience with this product or the application of it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Sucks that these black veneers are so prone to scratches (and appear to be non preventable) given that they look so nice. If there is no reasonable solution, I certainly don't want to deal with this every time I clean. I also like the micro mesh aluminum as another option, Does any one have these and are they less prone to scratches?

·
Registered
733 Posts

I have the grand black veneer finish. I have the car since Nov and there's really no scratches on it. By the shift lever or by the cup holders, etc...

Normal kid bus duties during the week, and we drive it everywhere during the weekends. About to hit 3k miles, looks just as good as when I got it new. Have not done any detailing other than touch-less car washing when gassing up.

-ThinkMac-

I am getting the black piano finish also. I read on another post that you could use Opti Coat. I would like to know more.......anybody have any experience with this product or the application of it?

·
Registered
7 Posts

Does any one have these and are they less prone to scratches?
I have micro mesh and I'm very happy with it. It looks kind of striped in the web photos but in real life, it's pretty subtle, less stripy. Had the truck ~3 weeks and seems to be pretty durable so far. It's a true metal (not plastic or metal-like) and I don't worry putting keys, glasses, or anything else on it. I chose this because I have had smooth finishes in previous Audis and BMWs and they showed scratches / swirls too quickly for my liking.

·
Registered
531 Posts

I have the grand black veneer finish. I have the car since Nov and there's really no scratches on it. By the shift lever or by the cup holders, etc...

Normal kid bus duties during the week, and we drive it everywhere during the weekends. About to hit 3k miles, looks just as good as when I got it new. Have not done any detailing other than touch-less car washing when gassing up.

-ThinkMac-
take a picture of it at nigh with flash and I'll believe you (directly looking it from top)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts