RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 RRS HSE Supercharged
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any luck getting the front cigarette lighter to work with their mobile phone charger? Why in the world would Land Rover make such a design flaw...probably bigger than putting the AUX input in the backside of the center console!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Some devices work with it if you twist and turn them in there just right, but most don't in my experience. Unfortunately that socket was not designed to be a power source, but strictly a cigarette lighter. The one behind the arm rest near the AUX input is no problem as I am sure you know already... One good thing about my new LR4 is that there are two sockets between the front seats (plus the one in the back and the one in the trunk area), both of them designed to work with chargers. That's one thing I won't miss about the Sport. ;-)

·
Registered
21 Posts
My lighter works okay. I have a small plug slightly larger than the socket itself and a USB that I plug my iPhone cable into. Also the Mophie cable works there.

As for the center console. It works with an iPhone Apple cable. But not with my Mophie cable, for my iPhone Mophie battery extender case.

Have a 2013 HSE.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My front lighter and central console power both my SGS3 car charger and bluetooth media adapter without issues. (2006 RRS SE)

·
Registered
385 Posts
On mine i wired an extension to the front cigarette lighter.

Still have to tidy up the installation a bit

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know if the lighter stays on for a bit after the vehicle is turned off? Just don't want to kill the battery if it doesn't power off.

·
Registered
16 RRS HSE Supercharged
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some devices work with it if you twist and turn them in there just right, but most don't in my experience. Unfortunately that socket was not designed to be a power source, but strictly a cigarette lighter. The one behind the arm rest near the AUX input is no problem as I am sure you know already... One good thing about my new LR4 is that there are two sockets between the front seats (plus the one in the back and the one in the trunk area), both of them designed to work with chargers. That's one thing I won't miss about the Sport. ;-)

You were right. After a little shimmy shake and a few choice curse words it worked! Thanks. I personally think the curse words had a lot to do with it...lol.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Mine works with my iPhone charger

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
436 Posts
USB adapter plug into the charger/lighter socket, then USB cable to iPhone. Not sure what other phones can use this procedure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My front socket has not worked since I've owned the RRS. The first week I bought it I noticed a coin down in there and removed it. It was also full of gunk that I've since cleaned. The socket lights up a nice green at night, but it won't accept a phone charger and if I try just the lighter it will not heat the coil. The fuses are OK, looks like my only choice is to replace the socket. Anyone know how to remove the socket? Any other suggests.

As always, I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Cannot check now, is dark outside, but you probably have to remove the center consolle and reach the socket from below.
Not a too difficult job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried everything on this thread and still can't get the front center console lighter to work the lighter or power an iPhone. I'm going to check the fuses now.

As for the rear of the console...CAUTION if using a Sirius Sound Dock. I plugged it in to run music into the Aux for my '08 RRS S/C, but when I tried to remove it to put the rear seats down, I pulled the whole freakin panel out of the console. Apparently, Sirius added a rubber-like retainer daisy ring on the 12-volt adaptor that once its in, it wants to stay in. Be aware and hold the panel in when you pull the sound dock out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts