RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems my front camera has been hit by a rock. Big chip. Is there a way to replace this unit easily?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bumping this up to see if anyone can help with the procedure for replacing the front camera

·
Registered
1 Posts
bumping this up to see if anyone can help with the procedure for replacing the front camera
Hi,
Yes straight forward to change, my one had a cracked lens so I bought one off ebay, front bumper easy to remove, check YouTube for removal of bumper, L405 much the same if you can't find L494 video. Once the bumper is removed front camera just unclips from the bumper. Just check the connector on the camera before you buy one as some have different pin set up. My camera was new and original land rover and cost £40.
Kind regards
Bill

·
Registered
485 Posts
@DieselD

It's a bit of a job to get at those cameras brother!

My front drivers side camera got hit so hard that it didn't crack or chip it... Instead it got pressed inside the mounting bracket and unseated it from it's mount and pushed it back into it's mounting hole. The camera appears to be find just recessed out of it's orientation. I can only see half the field of view now. So last night I got started on removing the whole front bumper... Probably about a 3 to 3.5 hour Plus job for someone that has never done it before uninstall and install and clean up wise. I've got my front bumper about 3/4 of the way taken off after watching the YouTube video on how to disassemble the L405. I swear there are about 30 damned pop rivets, screws, and plastic attachment mount/screws total... And you have to pinch off the washer fluid lines and also disconnect the proximity sensors etc just to get to those damned cameras...

However, the YouTube video didn't show how to replace or as to how the camera's mount or attach inside the front bumper. So I'm wondering if I'm going to have to buy an attachment bracket or see if I can "Jerry Rig" it with Industrial super-glue, duct-tape, etc once I actually get at it in there. Or am I'm going to have to get new mounting hardware from the JLR Dealer that is just up the street.

I'll be more than happy to help walk you thru the process though DieselD once I can determine what I need to do.

@"Out and About", can you tell us how the camera's mount inside the bumper? I'm assuming with plastic clips or something inside a bracket of sorts or something similar... I appreciate you DieselD for making this thread and Out and About for letting me/us know about how the cameras mount before I get in there later on today or tomorrow. The last thing I want to have to do is backorder a part and have to do this assembly and disassembly all over again as it's a PITA to be honest in the August heat in Georgia. I smelled like I played a Double Header back when I was a catcher in college... STANK after only an hour pulling screws, clips, pop rivets, and just trying to locate them all...

·
Registered
485 Posts
So I just spent another hour and a half removing the rest of the grill, wheel well inserts, total front bumper, and disconnecting the windshield washer lines and the radar/sensor and camera wiring for a total of 2.5 hours labor the last 2 days. By far, the most miserable part of this process was/is removing/disconnecting the driver's side main wiring harness located right next to the condensor... I couldn't get that [email protected]$tard apart like I've never seen. My back and abs went into spasm an hour ago due to being contorted in the drivers wheel well for almost an hour in the August 90+ degree heat just on that one component. I rewatched the particular part on how they disconnected that Wiring Harness on the YouTube L405 video 4 times. They say there is a button/tab to press and disconnect it and so so in about 5 seconds. Nope, no such animal, button, or releasing tab on the14.5' L494. And this is far from my first time doing this with electronics, wiring harnesses and sensors for a wide variety of vehicles and manufacturers. But, it along with the smaller grey and beige sensors are finally disconnected and tied up and safely out of the way now.

While I'm at it replacing both Cameras tomorrow I'm going to wash, prep and refresh the Grill in Gloss Black (has 3 or 4 chips) as well as redo the front tow hitch cover in a matching Gloss Black of which I've been meaning to do anyways. Since I'll be headed to Land Rover North Atlanta tomorrow for new crystal clear cameras I'll pick up another 8 quarts of Castrol Professional and an JLR filter for the next oil change within the next 1,000-1,500 miles. I use the 5 cameras far more than I thought I ever would being that I park in a narrow parking deck with stupidly high concrete curbing at both the exit and entry points.

Most if not ALL of us DIY guys on this wonderful Community Forum can do the camera repair/swap as well as the front adaptive cruise sensors. Just budget a full 3 plus hours and start your repairs in the morning instead of at 3:30pm in a Georgia August heat like I elected to do. I also recommend taking the drivers side front wheel off and using a jack stand and back up floor jack on the frame as so you can have all the room you need so you aren't in a contorted and muscle pulled state like I am right now. I'm quite limber and I'm sitting on ice right now. Just an PSA to all of us that are 40 years old and older here, hahahaha!

Pic of front gloss black grill and matching fogs painted when I first got her. I also redid the lettering front and rear in gloss black myself as well the first week I got her back in November. The Tow hitch cover plate will go from Grey to a matching Gloss Black tomorrow as I've been meaning to match her up for a while now... A minimum of 4 coats for durability and a flexing agent mixed in the paint I've yet to decide upon as to combat chips and flaking from road debris, grime and all the crap semi's, box trucks, cement and dump trucks spew rolling down the highways...

@DieselD I have a few tips for you bro for when you want to replace your front cameras bro so don't hesitate to reach out as I'll walk you thru the nuances as to make your life and back pain free!
Range Rover Sport Supercharged with new Range Rover Lettering.jpg

·
Registered
485 Posts
So, about 2.5 hours to get everything dissassembled, disconected, and all screws, bolts, and pop rivets accounted for and wire housings safely in their place... I get the front bumper unit safely upon a set of "saw-horse" stands and it takes me literally (1.5 Seconds) to push the camera firmly back into it's bracket and tabs... 1 and a half seconds for all that work. I figure another hour to get it all buttoned back up again like she left the factory.

So I figure since I got the bumper unit off I'll call JLR to see how much a new camera would be and if they are reasonable I'll go pick up a pair with spotless lens covers. JLR North Atlanta quoted me $1,481 and change for a pair of the plug and play front cameras. I kindly said thanks but I'll keep rocking the original ones since the bracket wasn't broken by the road debris. I took some electrical tape and wrapped the release tab 3 times around each one as pinch the tabs closed for a more secure camera to housing fit to avoid ever taking the bumper/grill/spoiler off again.

* And the L405 in the YouTube L405 video either doesn't come equipped or didn't show where (2) additional screw/bolts are attached to the fender that the L494 absolutely has! They are where the fender meets at the tip most corner of the bumper is. I know about the ones that are near where the headlight housings are on the bottom of the housing. But there are ABSOLUTELY an additional (2) screw/bolts with flanges up closer to the top far corner of the head light housings and where the fenders meet in addition to the ones shown in the video.*

Pic of her from the front all disassembled. I'm also interested in what the front (2) Condensers (mini-radiators) that flank the big main center radiator do. If anyone knows I'd appreciate letting us know too! While I had easy access I hit the trac-bar bolts with a heavy dose of muscle. Surprisingly... All of them turned. One as much as almost a full 360* turn. Probably the source of the "Thunk" I hear sometimes in first under wide open throttle and a left hand turn from what I've been reading here. So maybe the camera being pushed back was a blessing in disguise!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wowie zowie. Guess I will need to tackle this sooner or later. Not essential just annoying at this point. will reach out when the temps go down here in AZ. Thank you for all of the information

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you have a picture of the camera that is in the front bumper?

Reactions: Ham Hands

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
found a camera in the UK from JLR parts. US$400 cheaper than my dealer. Does anyone have experience with this parts group?

·
Registered
485 Posts
do you have a picture of the camera that is in the front bumper?

I never had to remove it, just push it back into it's 4 clip/tab recess bracket. But here is a pic of how it looks in it's bracket. I wound the ears tight with electrical tape about 7 wrap arounds to ensure a tighter than factory fit to make this harder to ever happen again. If if does I'll cut a small opening underneath the bumper and get to it that way as I'm NOT spending another 3 hours uninstall and 3+ hour reinstall for a 1.5Second job again! But it was rewarding and I'm betting Rover would have charged me several thousand dollars to do the same Labor I did...

I use camera religiously for parking lots with high curbing, Parking Deck, and our own 2 car garage (it's a tight fit for a big lifted Rubicon and the Rover)... So it was itching and nagging at me every day until I fixed the "sunken-in" camera with half it's normal field of view!

I have a pic of the camera from the inside of the front Bumper... I didn't have to replace the Camera, just push it back into it's 3 or 4 tabbed Housing Bracket... Literally, a 1.5 Second fix with my pointer finger and thumb... But little over 6 hours total in labor. The biggest pain in the ass was getting the electronics back up and going. There is a wiring harness bracket on the drivers side wheel well above the driver side condenser. Getting them apart was a chore and then getting it back together was a pain. Getting every single one of the "Male" prongs was a problem and then the front parking aid and sensors weren't working. It was because 1 single prong was bent up and causing the whole system to malfunction. I pulled it apart, saw the problem, bent the prong back into it's correct position, re-connected, then wrapped in electrical tape for good measure and it's a good practice to do with all electronic connections that come in contact with Road-Grime, Moisture and Water...

Getting the passenger side pressure hoses that operate the headlight fluid cleaners was easy enough but getting them apart was a PITA as well. Keep a mindful watch on what bolts go where and take pics as you go (easy enough)... Lastly order of set off Amazon or your choice of "Pop-Rivets" [plastic-fasteners]
I promise you that you won't be able to reuse the ones you take out of your front wheel well plastic shells and top of the grill. I cannot imagine what the dealer would charge for such an operation. Nor would I trust them to get every screw, bolt, and pop rivet back into place with much confidence either!

The female side of the Wiring Harness Bracket can be seen here on the Right hand side along with the left and right front Camera Connections... (those were easy to take apart and put back together)... It's the Wiring Harness that operates the whole radar, parking control, adaptive cruise control, etc... particularly the male side that plugs into this that was a B!tc# and it's prongs are subject to bending up and away from their original connection points on the Female Bracket Side...
Here is a pic of that:

·
Registered
485 Posts
found a camera in the UK from JLR parts. US$400 cheaper than my dealer. Does anyone have experience with this parts group?
How much for the Camera in total? Do you have a pic of it. If it's the same one I looked from JLR Parts UK then you should be fine with it. Ebay has used correct ones for under $300 if you really need a new one.

My local Dealer wanted $700 and change for a new one. I wish you could just replace the plastic lens housing on them as the one on the front passenger side has a few specs from gravel or road debris no doubt but works fine and is still clear enough NOT to warrant that kind of $$$ the dealer wanted. I expected maybe $100 each of which I would have bought (2) of them just because I went with all the trouble of getting the from bumper off and reassembled...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Camera is US$253 shipped to me.
Here is a pic from their website. In looking at the front end, the camera looks to be dead center in the lower valance which on mine, and I think yours, is black. Was hoping this came off as a separate piece to make my life a bit better. When it get less than 115 here, I will tackle it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Camera is US$253 shipped to me. View attachment 289010 Here is a pic from their website. In looking at the front end, the camera looks to be dead center in the lower valance which on mine, and I think yours, is black. Was hoping this came off as a separate piece to make my life a bit better. When it get less than 115 here, I will tackle it.
That's the same and exact one! Good price as well. It was 95+ here when I was performing the front bumper removal to get at the Camera itself and I had to go inside multiple times to re-hydrate and take 20 minutes to cool down, pound a couple quarts of water, and change my shirt and socks... I HATE AUGUST HEAT/WEATHER! I got nauseated 2 of those times from the electrolyte/salt loss. My next home God willing will have 3 garage spots and be wide/big enough that I will be able to work on our vehicles from a clean and air conditioned shop like garage. Our 2 car garage sucks for anything but parking and keeping our vehicles safe and out of the elements.

I'm very experienced at turning wrenches and figure things out... have all the tools, nice floor creeper, etc. And it took me 3 hours to disassemble everything correctly without missing a single screw, bolt, pop-rivet, electronic wiring harness and without breaking anything.

Then another 3 hours installing the bumper... Twice because of the bent prong aforementioned in my previous post here, diagnosing, and QA/QC-ing everything.

Her camera system works beautifully now as well does the Parking Assist and Radar/Proximity system. A dealer would have charged me $2500 to do the work I'm betting so it was very rewarding. If you can live without the use of the sytem until late October... I'd do it then.

****Or, to do it over again... I would neatly and conservatively make a precise and unnoticeable cut exactly underneath the broken camera and gain access to the camera from the bottom most portion of the bumper/spoiler area... Hindsight is 20/20 and all... but given a clairvoyant's view I'm almost 100% certain that this is EXACTLY what I'd do in a "Do-Over-Scenario!"

Yeah, I'm certain I'd do it that way now for sure, hahahaha!****

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you. I like your alternative do over idea. Heat will break the next two days here in Scottsdale. May look at the underside Thursday. But I suppose being able to access the track bars may be worth it. My diesel is turning 70k miles and I probably need to look at some of the long term stuff. I must say, I have run it to Laguna Seca for three weekend events. Had meetings in LA so on the way out driving the boring dangerous I 10 and back through Bakersfield Barstow etc. I remain amazed at the comfort, silence and just all around miles eating this rig does. Not getting the mileage some have suggested, calculated around 25mpg for the entire mileage, but i am not complaining. This just may be a keeper

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
689 Posts
Liked: 'it took me 3 hours to disassemble everything correctly without missing a single screw, bolt, pop-rivet, electronic wiring harness and without breaking anything.'

·
Registered
485 Posts
And even though I did quite a "Professional" job at the bumper(s) removal, camera re-fit, and reinstall... And even though all Parking Aid's and Camera's, etc are working great... I forgot to mention that I get an email from my dealership several days after me fixing everything stating... "Have you been in a moderate accident or road incident recently? Your JLR Gwinnett Dealership is here for all your needs, yada, yada, BS, etc..." I just thought the timing and more certainly the content and nosy subject of that "Email" was weird... being that I've never gotten one like that before from them... I'm thinking maybe my Rover somehow reported something to them while all the electronics were disconnected and then reconnected. They can't do or prove anything especially since she's all buttoned up factory correct and looks better than when I bought her even... I just thought I would mention this unsolicted "Email" from the selling dealershp to you guys. I get maintenance discount offers from them all the time and such... but never anything along the lines asking if I've been in a recent accident before. So, take this for what it's worth and a grain of salt fellas!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking for a little bit of help if possible. To avoid taking the bumper off twice, or having to drive around with it off while a new camera comes in the mail, does anybody know the part number of the front camera on a 2016 RRS Supercharged (L494)? I've searched and searched and found a few different models that all say they fit but are wildly different in price ($90 - $400). Appreciate any help!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pic of the camera i got with the part code is above in one of my posts

Reactions: superevan

·
Registered
485 Posts
Looking for a little bit of help if possible. To avoid taking the bumper off twice, or having to drive around with it off while a new camera comes in the mail, does anybody know the part number of the front camera on a 2016 RRS Supercharged (L494)? I've searched and searched and found a few different models that all say they fit but are wildly different in price ($90 - $400). Appreciate any help!
Correct, "you Don't drive around with the front end bumper off!"

Ebay has the best deals on "legit" salvage camera's... Go that route! Part number is what DieselD kindly posted up for us above...

This is not a job for the faint of heart or for one who has little attention to detail or patience I must add. I am technical, patient, and tenacious... And I found the job to be a challenge. Totally doable, but a challenge. Just be ready to go-slow, keep up with every fender screw, bolt, etc in separate bowls or bags and take plenty of cell phone pictures along the way to see/remember where each screw and bolt goes.

Take your time separating the male/female connectors that controls the Parking Assists too as well. Make sure each prong aligns perfectly back in...

Reactions: superevan
1 - 20 of 26 Posts