RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - hopefully a simple question ...

Had a small argument with a Renault Megane and need a new front bumper for my UK 1997 4.6 HSE. Are the bumpers all the same for the P38 (apart from colour coded ones)? If I go to eBay is there anything I need to look out for? Over here a new bumper is 450 euros which is 10% of the value of the vehicle!

Thanks

GRC

·
Registered
517 Posts
Pretty sure they are all the same. As you say only difference is factory colour coded ones are different - they aren't textured like the standard ones.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
Correct, all are the same. #DPB103830 and run around $550 over here.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
unless the plastic is torn, straighten it out with a hi-lift jack, that's all I did after whacking a deer...

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
shupack said:
unless the plastic is torn, straighten it out with a hi-lift jack, that's all I did after whacking a deer...
Did it taste good?

·
Registered
158 Posts
There is another part number for the front bumper:

DPB104600LYT

I believe this topic has been discussed before. I know on the later model year P38's (maybe 99-02), the above part number shows up as the factory replacement. I am not sure if anyone has clarified the exact difference between the two part numbers. This is not a special edition painted bumper. Nor does it come with the fog lights pre-intsalled. It appears to look the exact same as part number previously mentioned in the thread. However, DPB104600LYT carries a sticker price closer to $800-1000.

·
Registered
517 Posts
tjh2dUVA said:
There is another part number for the front bumper:

DPB104600LYT

I believe this topic has been discussed before. I know on the later model year P38's (maybe 99-02), the above part number shows up as the factory replacement. I am not sure if anyone has clarified the exact difference between the two part numbers. This is not a special edition painted bumper. Nor does it come with the fog lights pre-intsalled. It appears to look the exact same as part number previously mentioned in the thread. However, DPB104600LYT carries a sticker price closer to $800-1000.
I'm pretty sure that is the smooth one that comes in primer ready to be painted as opposed to the standard textured plastic one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well I have a black 2002 (HSE not Westminster) and the part number I discussed in my previous post shows up as the factory replacement for the part number on the automotive software suites when you plug in the vehicle VIN. I had to color code paint the bumper myself - it came with the textured surface like on the rear bumper.

I asked a local body shop and Land Rover Charlotte - both had DPB104600LYT as the needed part number.

There is one for sale on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 313wt_1167

However, it's hard to tell from the picture if it has the bumpy texture. Either way, it doesn't make sense as that would mean you would have to texture paint the surface to match the factory specs?

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have a rhino edition and my bumper is HALF painted HALF textured.......any1 elses like this? i have seen many ALL painted ........also does any1 have any tips on how to paint the textured part CORRECTLY without peeling or chipping months later?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was always under the assumption that the Rhino edition came from the factory with grey painted bumpers. That being said, I have seen some Rhino's with the textured bumper surface. Perhaps those were simply re-badged as Rhino's or were legitimate editions that had body work done...

Most any decent body paint shop should be able to paint the textured bumpers without much issue. I wouldn't do it myself. The sanding aspect, I imagine, is the most critical. Plus, I believe an adhesion promoter would be necessary. However, I have noticed that the paint has started to fade somewhat on mine after 4 years. Nothing major. I am probably do for a re-srpray. The paint shop wouldn't guarantee it for the life of the vehicle.

Anyone else want to jump in on the original question about bumper item numbers and the exact differences?

·
Registered
43 Posts
***went to the dealer today to get a new key and remote....i asked about the part numbers on the bumper and he told me that there different because there either partialy painted like mine (which BTW is original rhino and original bumper 1/2 painted) or all textured or because its from a different country which means its the same bumper but has a euro plate size instead of US plate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts