RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afox and myself tried to take off my brush guard today but the bumper bolts broke so we had no luck. I need to somehow get them out - and once I do I need to replace them. Does anyone know the correct size to get?

Any suggestions as to how to get these out?

·
Registered
966 Posts
If you sheared the head off (like I did), you'll most likely have to take the bumper/brush guard off by loosening the nuts attaching the crush cans to the frame. The only way to do that is to cut through one of the lower grill slats in the bottom part of the bumper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try that - what size screws did you get to replace the ones you sheared when you put it back on?

·
Registered
468 Posts
The ones for the brush bar are 80mm long with a 30mm spacer so presume the standard bolts are 50mm long. I think they're a M10 thread but can't confirm it.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
rogan said:
The ones for the brush bar are 80mm long with a 30mm spacer so presume the standard bolts are 50mm long. I think they're a M10 thread but can't confirm it.
The bolts are indeed M10. I have replaced them with hex-headed M10 bolts after a long battle with the factory star shaped bolts.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I need to bump this up for some help.

What is the exact size that I need for these bolts? Is it M10 x ? x 3"

I spent 3 hours today driving from place to place with the OE bolt and no one could match it up to anything and the closest thing they could give me was a 7/16-20x3.5" I've gone out to the rover and tried to secure the bumper/brush guard and these just do not fit.

I need help if at all possible. Please.

·
Administrator
27,800 Posts
Seriously? DO you not have hardware or auto parts stores with Metric in Texas? Naturally noting SAE/stnadard is going to fit, no sense in even purchasing something if it does not match. Go hit up NAPA if it is still out on Alamo and they have racks/drawers full of loose metric bolts sorted by size and thread pitch. Most neighbourhood hardware stores in the ACE and National chains also have said bins.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
What is the exact size that I need for these bolts? Is it M10 x ? x 3"
M10x1.5x120
EDIT- a couple of seconds Googling showed that this place stock them. Amazing what you can find from the middle of Dartmoor in the UK :)
Alamo Bolt & Screw Company
10101 Jones Maltsberger Road

San Antonio, TX 78216

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes thank you. I found them as well yesterday but they were closed so I tried a bunch of other places. Going there today. Thanks again for the specs!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Got myself some grade 12.9 M10x1.5x100 They did not have any 120 so I just went with that.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,295 Posts
Erm...
Won't they be about 3/4 inch too short?!

·
Administrator
27,800 Posts
Erm...
I am sure glad someone else said that. :lol:

I guess I just take hardware stores for granted. 20 minutes away to the east I have the usual Lowes and Home Depot for generic stuff. There also two independent hardware stores and half a dozen auto parts stores that carry loose bin bolts. 15 minutes the the west I have 2 independents that make Home Depot's hardware selection look small as well as three more auto parts stores with loose bin bolts. NAPA has always been my go to in any city for metrics. Indy hardware stores stocked by Ace or National are always a close second. You should never have to purchase something too short.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Erm...
I am sure glad someone else said that. :lol:

I guess I just take hardware stores for granted. 20 minutes away to the east I have the usual Lowes and Home Depot for generic stuff. There also two independent hardware stores and half a dozen auto parts stores that carry loose bin bolts. 15 minutes the the west I have 2 independents that make Home Depot's hardware selection look small as well as three more auto parts stores with loose bin bolts. NAPA has always been my go to in any city for metrics. Indy hardware stores stocked by Ace or National are always a close second. You should never have to purchase something too short.
Nope. They went on perfectly and everything is tight and good. I read in the DIY of this install on the homepage of the website that you need a bolt "ATLEAST 3 INCHES LONG." So I went by that.e

edit: A direct quote from it..."you will need the longer bolts (at least 3" long) supplied in the kit."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts