RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a problem I've had for a while. Front brakes start to grind around 4k miles after replacement. I've been through 3 sets of pads (OEM, aftermarket and ceramic) and two sets of rotors in the last 4 years and the same thing happens... after around 3-4k miles, there is a loud grinding noise after 20 minutes of driving (upon braking.)

I've looked at the pads and I still have plenty of meat left.

Rotors show normal wear.

The ONLY thing I've noticed that looks a bit suspect is that on the passenger side, one pad wears more than the other.

(This is the Brembo setup on the SC.)

Any ideas??

:?:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
not sure of the terrain you are in. Lots of hills?-lots of stop and go traffic?-truck sits for 3 or 4 weeks periodically and the rotors get rusty. Have you done the recommended break-in steps to load the rotors with pad material when new. Have the calipers been checked to see that the pucks are not rusted. Is it possible that something in the abs system is keeping the brakes applied. I have done little or none of these steps on our 04 except change the pads only during the 60,000 kms we have driven since purchase with few, if any, hard stops at speed.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the break-in on the second round of pads/rotors. Grinding returned. It seems to be heat related because it only starts to happen after stop-and-go braking or heavy braking. Seems to be only coming from one side. If it was a sticking piston, not sure why it would appear only after the brakes seem to be hot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts