RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've got a new problem I need some help understanding. I've got an oil leak from behind the front disk brake. The swivel face itself isn't leaking any oil. I've stared at the hub diagram in the RAVE manual, and it is difficult to understand where oil would be leaking out. It looks to me that the oil seal called the "inner grease seal" is also the seal that keeps the oil in the swivel... is that true? Is this the little monster that I need to replace?

Scott

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As you can imagine, I've been studying this problem as tests run at work, and after work here at home. I've learned that the grease seals I asked about only seal the grease-filled hubs. The outer faces of the swivels have another seal of some sort inside the bolt-on plate that wraps around the stub axle. I'm having a hard time even finding a name for it, let alone a picture or diagram of it.

However, I ran across many other web pages that listed the more likely cause of my oil leak as failed hub grease seals letting the oil suspended in the hub grease leak out. Is that the most plausible cause? The "voice of experience" would be reassuring right about now. :)

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My front hub's drive member differs from the design described in my manual. My RAVE manual shows a different design with a dust cap, circlip, and shims. This one doesn't have any of that, but instead has a solid cast iron cap and no threaded hole to drive the cap off like German cars have on their hubs.

[Edit: I've found a parts diagram that shows that my driven member is for non-ABS axles (which I definitely have) and RAVE pictures only ABS-equipped axles. That bit of the mystery is solved.]

I tried banging it off with a hammer, but it didn't budge. It is free of the hub, and the hub and rotor can spin independent of this drive member, which remains attached to the axle. How do I get this thing apart?

[snip]

Thanks,
Scott
1989 Range Rover with unexpected differences

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, I'll have to declare defeat and put it back together, still leaking. This has me stumped. This must be very adequately described in the factory repair manual because I can't find any descriptions on the internet about how to get this driven member off so I can loosen the nuts. Nothing. I've gone back out to beat on it, and try to pry it, and nothing is working.

I hate having two repair manuals that don't describe my year of Rover! My 1987 paper manual doesn't list section 54. My RAVE manual has section 54, but describes only ABS axles. Frustrating!

If anyone can simply tell me how to get this thing loose, I'll be appreciative! [Edit: In one last desperate search, I found a PDF that describes my hub, but its instructions simply read, "3. Remove bolts, hub driving shaft to hub, and withdraw shaft." Ah, so simple.... So, how do I get this thing out?] :)

Scott

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
149 Posts
I'm reviving this old thread since I am having the same issue with removing the stub axle on my 91. RAVE is downloading now but all my paper manual just says to remove the bolts, tap it loose and remove...I can do all of that except remove. I've tried tapping, spinning, prying, smashing knuckles and had no progress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts