RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I keep working on my p38, and today my goal was to correct the caster angle, which suffered from the lift.
I saw three options: lower the radius arm mounts on the frame, cut and reweld the radius arms, or modify the mounts on the axle side.
First solution (lowering radius arm mounts) seems the better way to go back to stock geometry, but I didn't want to lower the radius arms (they hit enough rocks when off-roading). Second solution scared me. I can weld, but ... No. So I went for the last one: modifying the axle-side mounts. And it was easy.
By drilling another hole 1/2 inch higher on the front side, I'm back with stock caster angle at 3 inches lift. I welded a piece of metal on the side of the mounts to reinforce the thing, as the hole was a little to close to the edge of the mounts.
It was a 2 hours (axle was already out of the RR) easy job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Please, can you make a picture.

Because I'm not sure that drilling front side higher is the correct one.

I think it must be lower.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please, can you make a picture.

Because I'm not sure that drilling front side higher is the correct one.

I think it must be lower.

You are right, my mistake. The axle was upside-down as I worked on it (better access to the radius arm brackets). The hole is drilled 1/2 inch lower.

·
Registered
11 Posts
At the weekend, I've done some measurements.

With holes in the middle of the bottom plate, 16mm. center to center offset. We have a clear 5° castor additional.

With 2" lift from normal height we have lost of 4.3° castor, with 3" we have 4,7° ....

I've done in mine a little more, the hole position is 20mm lower (need welding a washers), but I have 3.25" lift from normal height.

Also with this kind of lift I suggest to have and 10mm axle offset with washer between radius arm and bushes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts