RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, what do indy shops charge these days to do a brake pad change on our trucks for both front and rear. I know it is easy to do and I usually do my own brakes but I have been really busy lately and thinking about just dropping it at a shop to have them changed.

What is a fair price for labor and parts to do a front and rear pad change?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Standard book time is 1.8 hrs. We have no idea of the hourly rate of where you are going, so that is up to you.
At least if they turn around and try to charge you $40 in labor you know to tell them where to go!

Martin

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
1.8 hrs, wow then it must be a perfect.......sliders need cleaning and relubing, not to mention cleaning off any rust debris, cleaning calipers... I'd say 1 to 1.5 hours (max) per axle is the norm for a qualty replacement.

If you have high mielage make sure they do sliders front and rear as these do like to jam up..

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Hmmmm, that was for BOTH axles.

martin

·
Registered
948 Posts
Doing just pad changes are so easy, if you DIY, it'll probably just take you over 20 min per axle. Literally, you just have one bolt per caliper to take off after the tires are removed.

However, if you take it in, I wouldn't be surprised if you're charged 1 to 1.5 hrs per axle. If I'm not mistaken, here in SoCAl, you're gonna be charged close to $100/hr. So, labor would be $200 to $300.

Also, don't forget that dealerships and indies do markup part prices. The range can be anywhere from 20 to 40%. The worst I've seen personally was a 100% markup for air cabin filters (These usually go for $15, but I was charged something like $40 EACH).

If I were you, I would just do them DIY over a weekend. That way, you'll have plenty of change to buy yourself whole bunch of coffee and/or beer to congratulate yourself on a job well done.

·
Registered
541 Posts
^ yes.

DIY. Very simple job. I did all 4 rotors and pads last weekend. Theoretically I could have done it pretty quick, but since this is a 96 and a PA truck, there are corrosion issues. So I took my time and wire brushed/wheeled the bejezus out of everything - calipers, yokes, hubs, etc. and followed up with some cleaning. I had 2 slider bolts completely immobile on the rears, had to twist and pry to get them out. The were cleaned up good as new with a bench grinder wire wheel and some elbow grease, lubed and re-used and slid just fine.

I wouldn't pay anyone to do this job unless i didn't have any type facilities or I was very short on time. Thankfully Rover doesn't poison the truck with stupid rotating rear caliper pistons like you see on so many other cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts