RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to the classic Range Rover scene, and have a " small" question. I couldn't find any other topics aubout this.

I'll start with a small introduction: I'm the waterdude, a 32 year old engineer and I live in Holland. I have '74 Range Rover , imported from the UK, so it's a RHD. Now, I don't realy mind, but my girlfriend hates driving a RHD car in good old LHD holland. I'd like to convert it now, from RHD to LHD. Parts should not be a big problem, but I do need to know if it can be done, and what parts I will need to get a hold of. O, and the car has power steering. It's a great thing to have around for fun, hollydays and much more. I'd love to keep it, but then she will have to be able to use it aswell.

I'd love to get some tips and trics!

Many thanks,

Yuri

·
Registered
523 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Have you considered converting your girlfriend to RHD, might be easier :lol:

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Danny said:
Have you considered converting your girlfriend to RHD, might be easier :lol:
:thumb:

Girlfriends are a easy to come by, first generation Rangies are not. Buy her a Yugo or something and keep the Rangie as is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, trading in the girl would be quite an expensive adventure I can tell you all... :lol:
Thing is, I also have a very nice 1974 Citroen SM that I keep to myself. No chance I'm gonna let her drive that car...

So now she said: You get all the fun... either fix the RHD problem or get rid of the car :shock:

As it's a good car, it's converted to run op LPG (propane gas), road-tax-free (over 25 years old in Holland) and I really like it, I don't want to sell it. That's why converting to LHD is the only option I'n affraid :wink:

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
159 Posts
It's a pretty involved operation. You'd have to replace the pedals (may require some welding to get the pedal bar mounted properly) and the braking system would need to be changed over for the new brake pedal position. The binnacle should just swap over to the other side as that's how it was designed - both LHD and RHD versions use the same facia and it only became a big problem with the introduction of air conditioning which fitted in the passenger side.

The steering would have to swap. Whilst the steering column may go over, you need new linkages I think and possibly a new box and replace the power steering hoses.

The biggest headache would be the wiring loom which differs between LHD and RHD. It won't simply bend over to the other side and you will possibly have to either re-wire or butcher the loom to get it to fit. On a '74 this would be a real problem if the wiring's original and you could end up with a host of electrical issues.

Personally, I'd keep it original. You could always buy the GF another Rangie - sort of his and hers motors!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, thanks for the info.

I'm not affraid of the job. If I can prepare well enough, it should not be a big problem. I'm a trained engineer, and I've been working on cars for some 20 years now. Thing is, I don't realy know "Rangie's" I need you guy's for tips and tricks :oops: Welding, sheet-metal work and constructing parts? No problemo. Electrics neither.

I do need a steeringbox, some new powersteering lines and so on. Will the pedals fitt either left and right side? How about the wiper-system? Will I have to change it?

Any way, thanks so far! :D

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
159 Posts
The wiper system will still work with the wheel on the other side. I guess it depends on whether your bothered about the swept area not being fully in the drivers view. There are plenty of cars in the UK with the wipers the "wrong way round", but is there any legislation in Holland about it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In Holland you can do pretty much anything you'd want do with your car 8) . A few things "the law" doesn't like:
- tinted windows ( that means: to much)
- tax-free fuel ( diesel for boats/tracktors)
- loud exhausts

Window whipers? hahahahaa! As long as there are some on the car and their working, who cares :lol:

Converting from RHD to LHD does not involve any extra MOT of safetytest, nothing. That's great in Holland.
Feulprices are less great at 1,40 euros per litre.... :evil:

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Seriously - thats a huge job. By the time you have sorted out all the bits and pieces, moved all the hand brake and knobs and buttons and modified the firewall and changed the steering box surely its cheaper to import or find another 70's rangie?

·
Registered
468 Posts
:hand: If she really loved you she wouldn't tell you to sell the Rangie. Man up, tell her to pack her bags and be careful the door doesn't hit her in the butt on the way out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with my South Australian colleague (JSP) your honor !

I see Jenkins.... so be it - case dismissed ! :lol: lol

·
Registered
523 Posts
Obviously we don't know much about your car, and its condition, but I'd think carefully about chopping up a car that is a proper classic. You could be driving a car with some real value, and you could end up spoiling that.

If you want a LHD, I'm sure you'd easily sell the one you've got and then you could buy a RHD.

PS, Citroen SM - very nice.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts
jsp said:
Seriously - thats a huge job. By the time you have sorted out all the bits and pieces, moved all the hand brake and knobs and buttons and modified the firewall and changed the steering box surely its cheaper to import or find another 70's rangie?
I wonder if it would be as bad you think. The car was designed for both LHD/RHD. I'd be surprised if the firewall would nned much.

I think it would be better to source a secindhand LHD front loom.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys, thanks for all the comments and tips.

Some more info on the car? Ok, it's a 1974, it's in quite a good state: 4 new tyres, no welding needed to the chassis, paint work is ok, no dents, just some minor damages. Interior could do with some attention though.

Finding a better or one that's as good as this one but in LHD is no easy job! I got this one for a very, very very low price, and I'm quite fond of it. I'd like to keep this one. Not buy another one :hand:

Parts are comming in, slowly.... found a nice dash today! 8)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, if your adamant - so be it ! :roll:
Horse to water and all that...

From a different forum - it appears you may get useful information via a LHD to RHD conversion.
See if you can get your hands on a three part special featured in Land Rover Monthly (LRM) magazine - editions November and December 2002 & January 2003.
Somewhere to start in any case....

Mental note to self: "Self ! - cars & girls should always be mutually exclusive !!!!" :lol:

All the best.
Rod

PS - any pics of what she (the car not the girl :wink: ) looks like now ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pics?

Well.. I've got one from when I got the car.. :oops: It had been standing for 5 months or so, under some trees. The electronic ignition had died, so I just choped in an original distributor with some good ol' breaker point. She's been runnig great on this ever since.

Here's the pic:

It looks much better now :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Why not toss the fenders back on the 2CV and let her drive it? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I want her to kill herself I'll let her drive the 2cv :lol: But she's quite nice to have around, so I'd rather convert the Range Rover :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
rodrevolver said:
See if you can get your hands on a three part special featured in Land Rover Monthly (LRM) magazine - editions November and December 2002 & January 2003.
Somewhere to start in any case....
I think I may have those...

·
Registered
345 Posts
It seems to me everything will move over to left side on interior, once dash is disassembled, wiring should flip over to left side without any splicing , there are mounting holes for steering shaft on both sides, also mounting holes for steering box, just have some lines made from hydraulic supply shop, I'm not sure about pedal mounting, but they should bolt on also. If the drive wasn't so far from Pgh. Pa. U.S.A. I'd come over and give you a hand. You need to look at a left hand drive car to see for sure, maybe even pick one up for parts just in case.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts